Chapter 5: Trapped

As I woke up, I felt so tired that I got out of bed and didn't even see that Draco wasn't in his. I opened the bathroom door and, "Potter!" Draco was showering and I had just barged in on him. "Sorry! I don't even have my glasses on though!" I called back to make it sound better. However, I did have my glasses on.. I lied.

Draco walked out of the bathroom in his school robes and I went right in to avoid getting yelled at again. I quickly showered and put on my Gryffindor robes before walking down to breakfast with Malfoy. He must have still been shocked about what I asked last night, because he still wasn't wanting to talk to me. I broke the silence again and asked, "Can we just try and get along?" He looked over at me and held out his hand. "Okay, how about this. Let's just start over.. forget about the past five years and pretend this is the first time we've ever met."

I was surprised at what he was saying. Draco Malfoy, wanted to be friends with me? And he was okay with forgetting everything that's happened these past years? But I just kept all of that to myself and took his hand in mine, shook it, and smiled. "Sure, why not?" Draco smiled back and gave a small laugh, as we walked through the doors of the Great Hall.

Draco's POV: Well, I've done it. I've actually gone insane. Forget about the past few years? Be friends? We shook hands! Merlin's beard, what on earth has gotten in to me?

Harry's POV: Like every morning, I went over to the Gryffindor table to find Ron and Hermione, while Draco went over to the Slytherin table to sit with Crabbe and Goyle. "Did I just see you and Malfoy shake hands before you walked in?" Asked Ron suspiciously. "Oh, um.. yeah." I replied back. "He wants to start things over between us apparently. To be honest, I was getting tired of the quiet." 

Hermione and Ron exchanged confused looks, but I understood why. They then shrugged and we continued to eat our breakfast. The first class of the day was Potions with Snape. Hermione, Ron, and I walked to the class, and as I passed Draco, he gave a small wave. Of course I waved back, but I was still very confused about how he's changed so much.

The two long hours of Potions class was finally up, and I sprang to my feet and hurried out the door. I was always one of the first ones to leave.. I didn't want to get held back by Snape. I went to Divination next, along with Herbology and Transfiguration. Dinner came quite quickly and once again I made my way over to Ron and Hermione. "Well," said Hermione. "I better get going. I have lots to read and apparently there's this new topic on the Transfiguration test coming up." 

Ron and I just said goodbye, because we knew not to interrupt Hermione when she was talking about her school work. Ron soon left too, he was practically falling asleep at the table. Everyone else started to leave for their common rooms, but I looked around for Draco. He was getting up and was about to be leaving too. I just decided to get up and leave as well.

We found each other in the halls and started to walk together towards the Slytherin common room. But all of a sudden I started to hear voices. "Did you hear that?" I asked Draco. He looked like he was trying to listen to something but he couldn't hear anything. "No, what is it?" I saw a few shadows coming around the corner. I couldn't tell who they were, but it sounded like they wanted the topic to be a secret. 

I pulled Draco over to me, and we hid in a nearby broom cupboard. "What was that for?" He asked me. I pointed through the small window of the cupboard and we watched as Professor McGonagall, Dumbledore, and Professor Snape stood in a circle. "We have to tell him, Dumbledore. It's for his own good. They're after him.. and if he's with Draco, he might not be safe." I wasn't sure what they meant. Not safe with Draco? Why? But suddenly Draco backed away from the window and sat down. 

"Are you alright?" I whispered down to him. He didn't respond, so I did the only thing I could. I sat down next to him, and he looked over at me. "She's right, you know. That's why I was worried that we would get paired up. My family.. all they want is power. And that means turning you in.. to.. Voldemort." I knew that Voldemort was after me, he has been for my entire life, but Draco was acting extremely different than his normal self. For once, he didn't look at me with hatred, but with worry, and he acted like he cared for me. That's what was really getting to me. 

I heard more noises so I lifted myself back up and looked out of the window again. "Very well, Minerva. But Harry is a smart boy, he already knows the dangers and who is after him." Professor McGonagall nodded. Snape didn't say anything the whole time, but he followed them down the hall. I looked back at Draco who was still sitting on the ground. "I'm sorry," he said to me. "I realize now that I was wrong. You've gone through so much.. and I only made it worse for you." 

Draco was sitting there.. telling me he was sorry for teasing me all these years. What magic was in this broom cupboard? I sat back down next to him and said, "Look, Draco. If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't be who I am." He looked over to me and smiled. "Yeah, I could say the same about you," he answered back. Draco was different than I thought. Under those Slytherin robes he always wore, and that smirk he held on his face, he had a heart. 

I just realized that we were still in a broom cupboard, so I got up once again and tried to open the door.. but, it was locked. I tried again, but the door still wouldn't budge. "Uh, Malfoy," I told him. "I think we're trapped."