Chapter Three: The House

Start from the beginning

There was silence on the other line. "Everett?"

"About what time is your lunch break? I need to replant the Library flower beds shortly but I can be by after that."

"Seriously anytime that works for you. It's horribly slow. I don't know how the doctor does it. We're on no house calls as long as he's out of town."

"So what you're saying is you're bored and you need your favorite florist to keep you company?" I opened my mouth to speak, "Consider it done." He hung up.

After another hour of slow traffic in the shop, Everett waltzed through the front door, covered in a thin layer of soil. His dark hair was tied back loosely, any stray hairs found themselves tucked behind his ears. "Afternoon."

"Good afternoon to you too."

"So, arm then food?"

"Agreed," I slid onto the countertop once more taking care of his dirt-covered spare arm, and presenting him with his original. His face lit up as it slid into place, though his joy was interrupted by the pain of his nerves attaching.

"Good as new," He grinned, admiring his hands, "Even though I can't feel with this technology, there is a better feel to having my own arm back. No offense to the doctor's handiwork but this is much more comfortable."

"I'm glad." I reach under the counter and set out the leftover noodles meant for the doctor's dinner, Everett did the same.

"Any news on where our dear doctor is?"

"Nothing yet. He mentioned the Great Collapse and something about S.E.B on a shipping manifest." I pulled over the stack of papers from the library, "S.E.B." I tapped on one of the properties on Main Street that had been lightly circled in pencil, "maybe it's here."

Everett took a hasty gulp of his sandwich, "You aren't suggesting breaking and entering are you? As your friend, and the voice of reason I will have to advise against it."

"I don't know what I'm thinking." I sighed, "Would you come with me?"

"I'm sorry Ellowyn but I can't afford to get in legal trouble." He furrowed his brow.

"I'm sure I'll be fine. It's in the housing district so maybe whoever lives there knew the previous owner."

"You will call when you get back?" he dusted crumbs off his shirt, "I need to know if I need to pay bail for you or not while the doctor is out."

"Shush. I'm going to be fine." I jokingly punched him in the arm, "I just have a bad feeling every time he leaves like this. Like one of these days, he's going to get in over his head and not come back."

"Just how often does this happen?"

"Probably once a year, starting when I was about 16, he wouldn't leave me here alone before I could take care of myself."

"That's a relief, the thought of him leaving toddler you with the neighbors to go off on some wild goose chase was going to make me lose respect for him." He got to his feet, "I should probably head back. Call me and let me know if you decide to do anything illegal."

"Can I have your number?" I passed him the notebook from under the register, "I hate to become a regular with the operators.'

He shook his head and passed me the notepad once he was finished. "I'll hear from you tonight." He waves good-bye, and caught the streetcar, leaving me alone in the shop once more.