2. The Vanguard

The ghost notice Rory was tired, but she had to push her a little harder just to see what she was made of. So far, she was extremely impressed and was proud of the choice she made.

"Right through here and you can meet the Vanguard." the ghost directed her down to a dimly lit office.

Rory cautiously made her way into the room to see three people conversing around a large gathering table. The room was huge and obviously was some sort of official headquarters. Maps and charts littered the large conference table. Books were scattered on the ground.

"I say we investigate what is going on in the Reef. Petra has some suspicions that the Prison is not going to hold for much longer." Cayde-6 leaned back into his chair and placed a big black boot on the edge of the table.

"The Reef is none of our business." Zavala boomed.

"Listen, Zavala perhaps Petra's concerns are worth at least looking into. We can't risk letting the likes of Fikrul or Hiraks getting out. I mean guys, I have a target on my back, not that I'm worried or anything." Cayde-6 tried to reason.

"The Queen should have thought of that before she embarked on a plan that killed nearly half of her people and put the rest of the solar system at peril." Zavala leaned on the table.

Ikora stood with her chin resting on her fist deep in thought.

"Cayde, as much as you would like to help Petra we just don't have the resources right now. " She calmly explained.

"And Cayde you nearly lost a fight with the barons we can't let that happen again. You've been putting yourself at risk entirely too much." Zavala sounded frustrated.

"Excuse us." the ghost piped up interrupting their discussion.

Cayde-6 sat up in his chair and looked over Rory.

"A new Guardian!" He excitedly ran over to meet her.

Zavala straightened up and composed himself under the weight of his heavy armor.

"I'm Rory." She nervously managed to speak.

"Wow, you look famished. I mean I guess I would too if I just rose from the dead." Cayde-6 quipped.

"Cayde!" Ikora sounded annoyed" You will have to excuse our ill-mannered friend. He means well."

Rory looked at the trio with awe and intrigue. Zavala was a strong determined man. His very being filled the room with strong resolve and a sense of pride. Ikora was a no-nonsense woman who was intimidating as she stood with piercing hazel eyes. Her purple robes gracefully fell to floor making her seem as if she was floating. She turned her gaze turned to the blue robot who was excited to see her. The robot's cloak was tattered at the edges as if he had been in many scuffles. There was a slight arrogance about him.

"Let me take you to my favorite Ramen Noodle Shop you're gonna love it." He wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

"Hey, she has to go through official Vanguard protocol first

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"Hey, she has to go through official Vanguard protocol first." The ghost followed the pair out of the office.

"Ramen is an official protocol." Cayde-6 patted the ghost.

"No, it's not!" She shouted indignantly.

"Well, it is now." He confidently concluded.

The pair sat down at bar and Cayde-6 ordered the meal for them. A big bowl of steaming ramen was placed in front of her almost as soon as the word left his mouth.

"This looks incredible!" Rory's eyes widened.

"You have no idea baby!" Cayde-6 dove into his bowl with his chopsticks and began to munch " So tell me about yourself what do you remember?"

"I can't remember anything really." Rory sounded confused" I do have some questions for you."

"Shoot." Cayde-6 gulped.

"What is happening here? Who am I? What is a Guardian? What..."

"Whoa, whoa slow down champ." Cayde-6 wiped his mouth with the edge of his cloak.

"I'm sorry I'm just overwhelmed by all of this. I feel like I just woke up from a dream. There I was on the ground in the dust and then I saw this little machine seeming to wake me up. I also saw what looked like bones on the ground and then there was an alien with four arms coming after me. I just really can't understand what is going on." Rory rambled.

"Sounds like you woke up better than I did. " Cayde-6 nodded and took a drink of some blue liquid.

"What happened to you?" She took a bite of her soup.

"Ah, you don't want to know." He nervously took another swig of his drink" I mean look at me. My body is metal. You're gonna see a lot of us types walking around the tower. It just means we all traded some part of us for this." He motioned at himself.

"I think you look pretty impressive, " She smirked

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

"I think you look pretty impressive, " She smirked.

"Yeah, it's cool until you've been reset a few times. My memories are just fragments that I'm not sure are even real. I have this journal that I keep. It was on me when I woke up. Each time I go back and try to piece together who I am."

"How can I find out about myself?" Rory leaned into him.

"Official policy is that no Guardian should go digging around about their past." He leaned in and whispered," You can, but you died so long ago there probably isn't much left for you to find out." Cayde-6 took another swig of his drink.

Rory sat and thought for a moment. She was sure there was a way to get back to the area she was found to do some digging. But for now, she'd focus on getting settled into her new home.

"Wow, you were right this meal was amazing, but it could be that it's been my first meal since ever." Rory laughed.

"Ah, you've got jokes." Cayde-6 chuckled" I like you. Listen, tomorrow we can start some training on how to wield that light that was found in you."

"Sounds good." Rory shook his hand.

"For now, let your ghost take you to your quarters, you get a shower and some rest. Busy day tomorrow, I promise you that." He winked.