63

My mother nagged and cried. "Fang Liang Liang, did your mother owe you a debt last lifetime, ah? Whose life is more bitter than mine, Lin Haiyi's life, ah? It was not easy being married and pregnant with a child, only happy for a few days then my husband left me as a widow...... I thought when I am old, I will be able to live my life in happiness. And then in the middle of the night, I was awakened by fierce ringing from the phone and your aunt said.......you better come back quick, something happened at home.......my legs went weak and my heart thought.....what could have happened at home, ah? Your grandparents' health..... or the careless you...... and sure enough it was you. You were lying on the bed with your face covered with the oxygen mask, and I called you but you won't answer. I wanted to beat you, ah......I hate you....why did I like your father?...... I was ruined by both your father and you! One old and a young careless one, did I ever treat you badly? I thought......you almost went to your dead father, *wu, wu, wu*......."

I looked at my mother crying helplessly and old Alan was handing her pieces of tissue. I felt guilty and quietly apologized. "Mom, I'm sorry."

My mother continued to cry and said to me. "When you did not wake up, I had pondered seeking an answer.......was it because I remarried and that you wanted to punish me. If you really think that way, your old mother will go back and divorce old Alan. Fang Liang Liang, your old mother does not want to have a happy life anymore......*wu, wu, wu*......"

The gentle old Alan did not understand Chinese so he was oblivious to the fact my mother was discussing about divorcing with him. He stood at her side and gently comforted her. "Honey, Mary is gonna be fine, don't cry....."

I sighed. "Mother, what nonsense are you talking about?!"

My mother looked fiercely at me and angrily roared. "Don't call me mother! I'm not your mother! Have you seen any mother as pitiful as I am? My daughter had already met her boyfriend's elders and this mother is still in a daze. What is the reason? *wu, wu, wu* ......"

My mother was crying while old Alan was helpless in such a chaotic situation and did not know what to do. I looked at him helplessly and felt my headache returning.

Alan told my mother since I was still wounded, they had to refrain from getting me agitated. My mother was upset that she had lost control of her emotions and under Alan's persuasion, resentfully went with him to wash her face. As soon as my mother left, Fei Ge came over, leaned into my ear, pointed her chin towards the deeply asleep Kang Zixian on the sofa, said. "When you were in a coma, his grandmother came to see you and stayed for a while. These two days, the food that we ate was sent over by his grandmother's people. Fang Liang Liang, you are good, so fast you are able to coax the elder to treat you as her granddaughter."

I glanced sideways at Fei Ge. "I learned that from you."

When the ward quietened down, I could hear Stone's light snores and as Fei Ge looked at the salt-water bags, she yawned a few times. I used my eyes as a paintbrush, went over the appearance of Kang Zixian, his robust silhouette sleeping posture in detail and then my heart felt the warmth radiating the whole week. I thought of the loneliness I felt the last time and suddenly I had an impulse to laugh.

The pain in my body still persisted but I had peace of mind and then sleepiness overcame me, feeling satisfied, I closed my eyes.

The next time when I woke up, the sky outside had turned black. I faintly opened my eyes and the first thing I saw under the incandescent lamp was the bearded face of Kang Zixian. His eyes looked depressed and there was a trace of sexiness on his normally cultured face.

At this moment, there was no one else in the ward and when he saw I had woke up, he gave me a pleasant smile, leaned over my forehead and gave me a light kiss. "Sleeping Beauty finally woke up....."