Chapter 26

The walk back to my bike was silent, apart from the crunch of fallen leaves under our feet

The walk back to my bike was silent, apart from the crunch of fallen leaves under our feet. I knew they wanted to ask me about the meeting, but I wasn't ready to tell them anything just yet. I owed Gray an explanation foremost, but I had to get the Joys away from the camp before I could tell them anything.

As we approached the barrier to the camp, I turned back to Gray. He was watching me with a strange expression. I'd attacked his mother, so I suppose I warranted a strange expression.

I waved both the Joy boys forward. They shared a look with each other and then crossed over the barrier. Even with superhuman hearing, they'd be unable to listen to my conversation with Gray. Magical barriers, I'd learned, had more than one purpose.

"Lou," Gray began, "What happened?"

I coughed. "Wasn't exactly the ideal 'meet the parents' moment, was it?"

He ran his fingers through his unruly hair and I was struck again by the attractiveness of the action. It seemed strange to think about that at a time like this but he was the first boy I'd been on a date with in an undefinable amount of time. Sue me.

"What did you do?"

"I can't explain it exactly," I muttered. "I'm not sure how I did it."

That wasn't technically true, but I was going to keep the method to myself.

"You attacked my mother, Lou."

He sounded affronted, hurt. He had every right, but he didn't understand everything. Or, at least, I hoped he didn't.

"She had Elias attacked."

His face blanched. I waited for him to process the information. At least, judging from his reaction, he had no idea that his mother had retaliated in a way that was so harmful. We were in some weird limbo, Gray and I, after our date and the fact that I'd psychologically attacked his mother might complicate things.

He began shaking his head, working something through in his mind.

"No, no. That wasn't her. That was Owein. You said on the phone that it was that redheaded hunter- the one that's been after the Joys for a long time. You said!"

I reached out to grab his hand and he didn't pull away. "I was wrong. She admitted it. I'm sorry."

He groaned and pulled at the hairs on the top of his head. I hated that I was the cause of how distraught he was. He had a right to know and so did everyone else, but this wasn't my pack. I don't have a pack, I gently reminded myself. I was loyal to the Joys because they were my friends, but apart from them, I hadn't met anyone else in their pack. Besides Owein, but he wasn't a huge selling point.

"What am I supposed to do about this, Lou?"

I shrugged sympathetically. "I'm not sure. Tell everyone- or don't, I guess? It's sort of up to you."