Chapter Twelve- The Truth and Remorse

Start from the beginning

He watched nervously as Dumbledore stood up and walked over to one of the portraits that had survived the headmasters turning around of certain pictures. The rectangular portrait still visible to them was of an elderly witch who had been watching them closely the whole time. Remus noticed that the witch didn't look hostile. The woman in the picture even shot him an encouraging smile. He returned it, though he imagined he did so badly. Luckily. the witch's attention wasn't on him for more than a few seconds. Instead, it was trained on Dumbledore.

"Eupraxia, you know what to do." Dumbledore instructed the portrait so matter-of-factly that Remus would not have been surprised if the headmaster gave instruction to the different witches and wizards on his wall.

"Yes, of course, Albus," Eupraxia replied automatically, her voice calm yet brisk,

Then she vanished!

"Sir, where did she go?" Remus was astonished. He was aware that his knowledge of magic was limited. So even though he logically knew portraits could move, watching one simply disappear was something else entirely.

Dumbledore chuckled and sat back at his desk, eyes crinkling with amusement as he persistently offered Remus a toffee. Unsure if it was wise to refuse the headmaster a second time, especially because once more Dumbledore was treating him with more kindness than he deserved, Remus popped it in his mouth.

He found he quite enjoyed the toffee, though he remained firm on the belief the chocolate Madam Pomfrey had offered him was far superior. Remus listened as Dumbledore explained the long list of rules associated with magic portraits. It wasn't until he had finished that Remus realized the Headmaster had been attempting to distract him and further calm him down. Even more of a surprise was that it had worked!

"Quite interesting, is it not?" Dumbledore concluded with a small smile.

"Yes sir, I...um, thank you," Remus stammered feeling very nervous. Why was he still here? Was he allowed to leave yet or would it be rude?

Dumbledore chuckled so hard the glasses on his nose became even more crooked.

"I should thank you. Most students would find my passion for the arts quite dull, I'm afraid. They much prefer I stick to discussing sweets which I oblige, as it's another of my passions. Quite a guilty one I'm afraid." Dumbledore winked then he chuckled again, quieter this time but still with so much sincerity Remus found himself smiling along. Dumbledore's eyes twinkled with what seemed to be his standard amount of mischievousness.

"Ah, they are here," the headmaster commented, standing up from his chair that Remus now realized had rotating symbols on it. But despite Remus trying hard to decipher the symbols, he couldn't quite make them out.

Dumbledore smiled at Remus, as if finding his attempts to unlock some of the mystery of the no doubt extensive and powerful magic all throughout the headmaster's office, adorable. Dumbledore then left his desk to go greet the visitors, and the tension and stress that had left Remus came rushing back. Now he understood what this was about! Remus sat rigidly in his chair and quickly used the handkerchief to properly wipe his eyes and nose. He really hoped he didn't look too pathetic.

"Thank you, Professor McGonagall, for escorting them here," Dumbledore addressed the Gryffindor head of house pleasantly.

"Of course. Let me know if I need to be docking points." McGonagall replied in her usual stern tone. She sounded quite upset at having to drag several of her Gryffindors to the headmaster's office, but Dumbledore just chuckled.

"No need for that, Minerva. Though I'm sure with their antics it's only a matter of time," Dumbledore pointed out, highly amused.

"Indeed," McGonagall sighed, but she actually sounded begrudgingly amused herself.