What Happends in the Dark

Damien

I'm the strange one. The one nobody talks to.  Although I somehow fit into the normal category of society, no one really knows who, or what I am. If only they knew what I really was, my appearance wouldn't be questioned, and I wouldn't be in a situation that has now demanded my full attention. Limp strands of hair hung over my eyes dripping from the rain. My wardrobe blended in with the dark of the ally, concealing me from view as I smoothed my thumb over the soft flesh of the human males neck where I held him. His pulse went quiet and the throbbing beneath my fingers slowly dispated. "Why couldn't you just leave things as they were? I rolled my head back and around, I was tense and ached from the prior altercation. I dragged the body to a nearby dumpster and threw it inside. I covered it in oil, struck a match, set it on fire and then made my way to class.
It never took long for people to start staring, and I stared back. Then they looked away and I laughed quietly to myself. I found the best seat in the room, the seat all the way to the back as far from my chatty socially absorbed classmates as possible, where I fit in perfectly. I took a seat and prepared for the rest of an extremely annoying day. This morning's encounter was just the beginning.
Every class was the same, repetition after repetition. I was relieved when everything was over. I walked back to the ally to check on the body. I could smell the burnt ashes before I even turned the corner. A smell anyone else would never pick up. The ashes had gotten wet with the rain and taken the form of mud, mixing with all of the other unknowns at the bottom of the dumpster, soon to be washed out and down the drain.
I sat for a while at a small dive bar downtown. I had a few drinks and got some thoughts together. This place is so different, so light compared to where I come from. Where everything is dark and dead. Where my kind thrive on the torture and misery of the fragile humans here. Demons like me. But it only keeps you entertained for so long. I have made a few acquaintances from the time I've been here, mostly used for my entertainment and the appearance of fitting in. None that truly mean anything.
It was a cool fall night on my walk back to campus road. However I was uninterested in being out much longer. Once inside I stalked into the bathroom and got in the shower. As the water beat down on the top of my head the hieroglyphic markings on my back began to change from black to deep purple. The shower had provided some sort of relief for only a short lived moment before a knock sounded from the hall. I could feel the markings changing back to black at the disruption. I yanked open the door with nearly too much force to find Anna in a once missing grey sweater and fuzzy pink slippers. A pent up breath of anger escaped me as I raked my fingers through my damp hair. "What are you doing here?" She reached up and kissed me putting her tongue in my mouth, boldly ignoring the blatant social cue that told her to fuck off. I met her a few weeks ago in the bar I went to earlier. She's apart of various campus social clubs and didnt hesitate to go back to the dorms after a few too many drinks. I usually would not partake with her kind, meaning popular and very noticeable. However, at the time I was stressed and I needed a release of some sort. From then on our meetings have had one thing in common.
"Mmm should we get back into the shower?" She purred. Stepping forward without an invitation.
"Actually I'm really tired I was getting ready to hit the sack" The truth was I was tired of her. The only thing we had between us was the sex and it was getting old.
"Come on" She whined, walking past me climbing onto my bed and laying herself down. "Ive been studying all night and I could use a break. Couldn't you?" She said unzipping my sweater and pushing it aside showing every inch of her skin to me. I sucked in a deep breath a little annoyed and blew out a sigh closing the door behind me. I stared at her familiar shape wanting to say no, but when it was laid out for me prepped and ready how could I. I dropped the towel where I stood and climbed onto the bed spreading her legs with my torso. I brought my mouth down on hers and gave her my tongue to play with. At the sound of a faint moan hardly making it past her lips I nudged her hot center with the head of my hard on before reaching over to turn of the light on the night stand. So much for me trying to get some sleep.

Amy

My body is begging me not to move. I examined the bruises that covered the shape of me. I felt trapped. I can't leave, and I know I won't. His arms were around me; his hands were holding me close. The same hands that promised to never hurt me again. I thought to myself how I let it get this far and each time I was bombarded with feelings of disgust and embarrassment. 
I moved slowly out of his physical grasp, but his mental hold was still there which was what kept me from running through the door. My steps were quite, I didn't want to wake him. When he sleeps my world seems to be a little more quite. I walked in to the bathroom and turned on the light. The person I saw in the mirror was no stranger. I hated myself for allowing it, but I have yet to find the will to stop it. Each time I convince myself these feelings will subside, and I will love him again. And with just some effort I do.
How did I get to this place? I can still remember when I was a strong young woman, just like my mother. I would have never taken the abuse I now have to endure. But in some way the abuse I am now taking is far less painful than the abuse I would have taken if it were not for Brian taking me away from it. I lived with my father before I began living in the confinement of Brian's apartment. Its ironic that I now think of it as a jail when not so long ago it was the best thing I ever had. After my mother passed, drinking was a daily thing with my father. I soon became the parent. I remember when he use to tuck me into bed when I was younger. He would take all my fears away by just being near me. But that all changed the moment my mother had gotten sick. The first time he truly hurt me was when he came home from a bar one night and told me to go get him a beer. I told him that I thought he had enough and before he even got to ponder my opinion the rough back of his hand connected with my face. After that his beatings just got worse. Brian was just a high school friend at the time. I told him most of what happened to me. He promised to take me away from all of it and I told him I would follow him where ever he went and after my 17th birthday we left. Two years later and look where I am.
"Amy?" My stomach did a flip and I almost lost my balance from leaning over the sink. I took a deep breath and walked back into the room. Brian sat up in the bed, resting his head against the head board. "Come here, please" I stood in the door way with my arms crossed over my chest. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you, today was tense enough as it was and then you and the arguing just pushed me off the edge" I stayed quiet. These were words Ive heard many times before. He stood and walked to me, his nose mere inches from mine and I tensed. He placed his hand under my chin and brought my face up to him. "You forgive me don't you?" I vaguely smiled and he took that as all he needed.

I felt a mess. My hair was all over my face and the bruises just added to my discomfort. I quickly dressed for class and left the apartment with Brian sleeping naked in bed. I walked up the steps of the university and made my way inside. I took my seat next to Kim, a friend I've had since the 7th grade.
"I swear Amy you must be an accident prone child. What happened this time?"
"Tripped and hit my head on the corner of the table. Its not bad though it just looks like it" I've gotten so use to lying to her, they come out just as well as the truth these days. Kim looked up as Anna walked in to the room. She was an old friend of ours before she made off with a guy Kim had been dating at the end of last semester.
"Ugh, slut" She rolled her eyes and went back to our previous conversation. "Anyways how's Brian?"
"He's fine"
"I swear you must be the luckiest girl I know. I don't know how you afford it. I would love to live with my boyfriend as a third year college student. Then he could do whatever he wanted to do with me, and no one would know." She winked before turning her attention back to the instructor.
"Trust me Kim, its not that great"