The death of our loved ones

Everyone in the zones feared death, which was understandable. Killjoys were under continuous pressure and few of them get a grip of their feelings by the time death actually comes to them. Few learn to move on and take it as it is. A disaster. No wonder the zones were filled with bars and clubs of all sorts. It wasn't because 'joys found any pleasure in these things, but because they needed an escape. Agent Crash promised herself to never step foot in such a place but the days were getting hard. She had lost her crew at the hands of S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W/S and for what? For 2 whiny kids. If she could go back in time, she would. Without a doubt. Although she hated these thoughts, she would have preferred her team back. Her lover back. She would have left those kids to die if she could but now...things were different. No way she could leave them be. Memories came flooding back...

She was laying down in the old, dusty mattress. Scare Symphony laid next to her, her eyes closed, arms wrapped around her waist. Then their leader, Star Bow, yelled for everyone. God, Crash hated this guy more than anything "One selfish motherfucker, this guy" she laughed to herself. Her entire team came out of their hiding in a hurry. Everyone held their weapons high, ready for attack. 

"Scarecrows! A few of them. They have two kids. We gotta go" his voice roared

Everyone obeyed. Of course...

"A few of them" he said. Those "few" fuckers out numbered them visibly. Not long after the fight had begun, the fate of the crew was clear. Crash ran through the rain of bullets and in a hurry grabbed one of the little boys by the shoulder and pushed him behind her. The other small guy followed. She kept shooting at the damn crows but with every moment that passed she felt more and more hopeless. And then she looked for Scare. She was nowhere. Frantic, she looked around for her with no luck and by doing so she allowed herself, just for a moment, to take in the scene. Corpses of her friends, BLI's brainwashed soldiers towering over them. The rest of her team, the last of the colorful punks, not yet splattered with the red of their blood, shooting like crazy, running back and forth on the dry desert ground. Scare was laying down on the ground, eyes wide open and cold, covered in blood. Crash knew that instant there was nothing to be done anymore, they were all dead. She had to go. Grabbing both kids by their arm, she sprinted away from the scene, unnoticed in the chaos produced. She went straight to a high hill, from where she knew she could observe the battle field. Just as she reached the top, she saw the last member of her team get shot, and fall dead on the ground. In that moment, tears rolled down her cheeks and the fear of her own death settled in.

Crash took a deep breath in, and sighed. She could do nothing more at this point. It was done. Her team, Scare, they were all gone. She didn't even get to kiss S one last time. And she ran away from the battle, like a foul. Like the biggest fucking...

"Stop squeezing my hand, you're hurting me, AUCH!" the kid on her left spoke up

"My bad" was all she said

No time to think about the past now. They had to find shelter.  A crew that would accept them. Crash was a good shot. She was very organized and obedient, surely someone would take them in, right? Doctor D will help them. That's for sure. All they had to do is reach his station before dusk. If anything, he would let them spend the night there! He was an understanding man.

Slowly, under her breath, Crash prayed that the Phoenix Witch would take good care of them.

Hi! So this is a pretty short chapter but I hope you like it? I wrote it yesterday in one sitting and I felt so inspired that I decided I would post it. Been editing since.  I'm all over the place and I feel like I can't even talk right now. I guess what I mean is I'm very happy that I get to post this because it's been something I've been wanting to do for a while now and I hope it brings you just as much joy as it brings me. Thank you!