13. LUCY

LUCY

There is a stiff smile plastered across my face as I dig my thumbnail into my opposite palm, begging for the frustrated tears that prickle my nose to stay hidden.

"I understand your reservations Mr Fulham, but I can do this. I'm fine."

I'm starting to get sick of hearing my own voice say those two words.

"Lucy, while we all appreciate your dedication, your mental health is our main priority. You've given a lot to this company and we want to make sure we give you the same support in return."

My boss's blue eyes are full of pity as he folds his hands together onto the desk in front of him. Nigel Fulham has been my superior, but also my mentor, for the last six years and although I know what he is saying is out of kindness, it's a gesture I don't want, or need.

He sits back in his leather chair, his brown plaid suit a little tight on his robust chest and only brings out the redness of the plump tip of his nose.

"I know it may seem unfair right now," he softens his voice and I take in a deep breath to brace myself for more. "But you just lost your husband. It's okay to step back and help yourself."

"I don't need help, I need a job!" I raise my voice and stop suddenly when I realise I may be proving his point.

"We're not firing you, Lucy, I thought I made that clear."

"Taking away all of my clients is the same thing," I snap back, my breath shortening and suddenly I'm too hot, ripping my blazer off with a dramatic huff.

"It's not permanent, and Claire will make sure to include you in all the correspondence so when you are ready, you can pick up the workload again."

"Mr Fulham, I really appreciate your concern, but Jake died three months ago and I am dealing with it as best I can. I have support at home and I really want to just get back to being as normal as possible."

He takes in a deep breath, opening his mouth to speak once then twice, clearly trying to choose his words carefully.

"Claire mentioned that she saw you yesterday cleaning out the staff kitchen."

My brow furrows, "Yeah? So? It was filthy! I was doing everyone a favour. The cupboards had no order to them and there were cups that were chipped, a bottle of detergent that had a crusty build-up at the top, tea towels that were wet and shoved in a draw..."

"She said you were in there for two hours," he continues.

"Well, yes, but it was my lunch break, and I worked overtime to make up for it."

"And you wouldn't let anyone use it for the rest of the day."

The frustration is starting to build inside of me. I was trying to do a nice thing and I'm being punished for it.

"Lucy, we think it best for now, that you take things easy," my boss repeats again.

"You can see what's happening, can't you? Claire is doing this deliberately! She wants my clients and my job. I've worked so hard to get where I am in this company, Mr Fulham."

"Claire, myself and everyone else here, want nothing more than to assist you during this difficult time."

I bite down on my lip to stop it trembling.

"Okay," I give up, standing and walking out of his office before the tears fall.

I make it to the bathroom just in time for the hot droplets to start cascading down my cheeks. I pull my phone out, habit making me dial the first number I think of.