17. Dance With Me

Start from the beginning

"Malfoy," Sirius says through gritted teeth, a clear look of disgust on his face.

"Well, it'd sure suit you," Lucius continues in that slow drawl. "Then you'd finally fit in with all those blood traitors and Mudbloods you hang out with everyday. You reek of their filth."

"You little—" I start angrily, but am interrupted by Sirius.

He grabs Lucius around the collar and says in a menacing whisper, "You better keep that shithole you call your mouth shut before I take your pompous head and shove it up your own arse."

Instead of a look of fear, Lucius just sneers back at Sirius. "Oh, how you terrify me, Black. But everyone knows you can't do anything without Potter watching your back. Isn't that right, you coward?"

This time Sirius lets Lucius go, but pulls out his wand instead. "Say that one more time, you third-rate," Sirius hisses in that same deathly soft tone, his wand pointed straight at Lucius' chest. "One... more... time."

Lucius lets out a barking laugh. "What are you going to do, Black? Curse me?" he jeers, spreading his arms wide. "In front of a roomful of upper-class wizards? Oh, I'd like to see you try, coward."

"You snake." Sirius lets go of my waist entirely, murderous intent radiating from him. "You underestimate me, Malfoy. Furnun—!"

"Wait, Sirius, stop!" I grab his arm before he could finish his jinx. "He's not worth it. This scum isn't worth a second of your trouble and you know it. Look at me." I place my hand on his cheek to force his gaze onto mine. "Sirius... he's not worth it."

Sirius stares back into my eyes for a long moment in rage, but thankfully pockets his wand.

"Yeah, you're right," he mutters before turning back to Lucius. "Get out of here, you pureblood trash, before I physically throw you out of my house. That much I can do," he adds fiercely.

"As you wish, Master Black," jeers Lucius with a mocking bow. "Let's go, Narcissa."

After Lucius slinks away with Narcissa and a sneer still plastered on his face, Sirius turns back to me, hugging me a little bit tighter than he probably should be while dancing. Strange... It's not like him to get so worked up just from some Slytherin taunting.

I look up at him to see a blank look in his eyes.

He's thinking about something... which worries me even more. Not the fact that he was thinking, but instead that he was just so still.

Sirius was animated. Dynamic. He never had only one emotion on his face at one time, nor did he let any thought stay in his mind for more than a millisecond. It'd always escape him before he knew what he was saying. But now? His face was deadpan and his voice was silent.

"Hey, you alright?" I ask in a low voice.

Sirius shakes his head before replying, "Yeah, I'm fine. It's just—nevermind, it's nothing."

"What?" I urge. "Don't nevermind me."

To be honest, Sirius doesn't nevermind anyone. People usually can't get him to shut up.

Sirius heaves a long sigh before explaining in a low voice, "My grandfather used to call me a coward every time he saw me because I was the only Black to get sorted into Gryffindor over Slytherin. He thought I was afraid of the power of the Slytherin House or something, which obviously is complete bull. He'd taunt me from his fat arse on our chintz chair in front of the fireplace every night and wait until I'd react or blow up at him. It's just a word, I know, but imagine being the little tyke I was and have a well-respected old man call you a coward for years on end. If you hear something enough times, soon you'll start to believe it yourself." He looks away and mutters darkly, "I hated that guy."