17. Dance With Me

Start from the beginning

I just smack him on the shoulder in response, my own barely suppressed smile sneaking through my feigned anger.

Before I know it, the first waltz slows to an adagio as the musicians transition to the next movement. I move to pull away, but Sirius lets go of my right hand and places his hands on my waist instead. Almost instinctively, I move mine to his shoulder and rest my head on his chest.

Instinctively, huh?

Man, it's almost as if I enjoy faking this whole dating thing with him. Although that wouldn't explain why my heart is beating like it's on the verge of a heart attack. Wait... that wouldn't explain it for Sirius either!

As we dance slowly in small circles, I feel Sirius' heart beating at a rate clearly faster than it should be. And that could only mean one of two things: 1) waltzes are a major turn on for him or 2) Sirius is... actually worked up about dancing with me. Uh, it's the former, obviously the former. Didn't know classical music could be such a turn on for guys. Well, he's mental, what can I say?

Yet, the sound of his heartbeat is oddly calming in the midst of all the music and chattering.

I shut my eyes tightly, trying to rid myself of the thought. Agh, I'm doing it again. Since when did I become such a hopeless romantic anyway? I can't start liking him now. I can't start liking him ever.

My mind screeches to a halt.

But... why not?

"Do you have dances like this every year or something?" I suddenly blurt out as casually as I can in an attempt to distract my thoughts. "You keep on referencing last year's party."

Sirius gives a jolt as if he was stuck in a fantasy only moments before as well, but doesn't miss a beat. "Well, my parents host these ball things every year at the beginning of the winter holidays." I feel Sirius shrug under my arms. "I guess it's to sort of celebrate the end of first term... or the beginning of winter, or both. I'm not really sure actually."

I laugh dryly. "Yeah, let's all celebrate the fact that we haven't done anything for four months and still have five months and End-Of-The-Year exams to go."

"Yeahhh..." Sirius says slowly in realization. "Yeah, actually I have no idea why we have all these crazy balls. It's probably just because we're bloody rich and we can. The other students like them anyway."

My body freezes for a second. "Wait, there are students here?" I stammer out in shock. "Like in this room with us? Right now?"

Damn, I can just imagine the rumors that are going to spread around school after this dance.

Sirius chuckles at my reaction. "Don't even worry about it. They're all in Slytherin, so you probably don't know most of them. It's not like my mum would let blood-traitors like Gryffindors here. Save for us, of course, since we're still the purest of the pure." He lets go of my waist to make air quotes.

I let out a long sigh. "Yeah, well, what can we do? It's not like we chose to be purebloods."

Sirius scoffs. "Yeah, seriously. I'd trade my purest blood for being a half-blood any day. Less trouble for sure—"

"What's this I hear? A Black who doesn't want to be a pureblood?" a dark drawling voice interjects from our right. "How utterly blasphemous."

I look around to see a long-haired blonde boy dancing with a pretty girl with her hair color and length just the same as the boy's and twice as luxurious.

I may not be the most knowledgeable about Slytherin students, but even I know who these two are. If the Slytherin house had any form of monarchy, then these two would be their king and queen: Lucius Malfoy and Narcissa Black. Their foul depravity was legendary.