1

I shrugged my book bag onto my shoulder and planted a quick kiss on my mom's cheek before glancing at the small watch on my wrist.

"Nancy, if you don't hurry up, we are going to be late!" I could hear Nancy's aggravated sigh from the top of the stairs.

"I don't understand why you have a car and I don't!"

I groaned and shook my head, yelling out a warning before heading to start the car. "Nancy, come on! I can't be late, and we still need to get Stacey!" I sat in the car for another ten minutes before finally honking the horn, leaving her aggravated and Nancy quiet.

The drive to Hawkins High was a short one. It was less than ten minutes away, but having to pick up Barb and Stacey added another fifteen minutes to the trip. We got to school five minutes before the final bell rang. I eyed Nancy, aggravated that we were so late, leaving me without the opportunity to study for my Civics test. Sighing, I bit my lip and looked in the rearview mirror at Stacey as both Barb and Nancy exited the car, slamming the doors closed.

Stacey smirked as she crawled into the front seat. "When did Nancy become such a bitch?"

I shook my head and smiled softly. "I'm hoping it's a phase, Stacey. She just turned sixteen, so she's still a little full of herself."

Stacey shook her head, furrowing her eyebrows. "We were not like that when we were sixteen, Emma."

I nodded slowly. "We're different though, Stacey." Shaking my head, Stacey plastered a smile on her face. "So, Miss Emma, are you going to tell me about last night? You hung up quite abruptly."The knowing smile on Stacey's lips made my stomach knot up. Did she know what happened? I eyed Stacey warily as she tugged on the sleeve of my sweater.

"What are you talking about, Stacey? You know I studied for the civics test we have today, and Nancy had to use the phone to call someone."

Stacey shook her head, her smile bright. "I know, Em. I just meant, how far did you get into your notes? I need to know if I can cheat off you this time."

My smile only grew as I eyed my best friend for a moment before both of us burst out laughing. "I wouldn't this time, Stacey. Quite frankly, I was planning to cheat off of you!" Smiling big, I threw her a wink before exiting the car.

Biology was the bane of my existence. Not only was it my only class without Stacey, but it was also my only class with Stacey's cousin Steve, who always found a way to be my lab partner. Tugging on a loose strand of my hair, I looked at Steve.

"Emma, I didn't realize you had a sister." My cheeks flushed as I tugged my mask down."She's only a year younger than us, Steve. I'm not sure how you didn't realize this. Can you please hand me the scalpel?" Studying my face for a moment, he handed me the small medical scalpel.

"She's pretty."

I nodded my head, a small frown forming on my lips as I tugged the mask back on my face. "I know."

"Could I come over again tonight? We could go get some burgers and cokes, and then we could study for the biology quiz tomorrow." His bright eyes studied my face for a moment as he twirled the loose strand of my hair around his finger. I shook my head as a silent no, watching carefully as his hand dropped from my hair to his side.

With a slow nod, he entertained himself with the rest of the tools as I busied myself with dissecting the frog placed in front of me. The bell couldn't ring any sooner. I didn't mind the obnoxious sound; I just wanted to escape the small biology classroom before Steve could say anything else.

My cheeks flushed at the small memory of his intense stare and the feeling of his hand in my hair. What had I done? I made a beeline to my locker, actively searching for Stacey in the crowded hallway so we could leave and get some lunch at the small diner down the street—the same one Steve had suggested a few minutes ago. I could feel the heat rushing to my face as a small smile met my lips.

I had turned Steve down, but that didn't mean I would next time. His asking me to hang out again showed me that he genuinely wanted to see me. No more secrets. Maybe he was okay with everyone knowing. Shaking my head, I shoved my books into my locker and slammed it closed, trying to settle my nerves as I leaned against the cold metal to survey the crowded hallway once again. I grinned as I saw my best friend approaching, turning my back to her as she reached down to grab her bag off the ground by her feet.

Lifting my head back up, I caught Steve's eyes as he leaned in to whisper something into my little sister's ear. At that moment, I couldn't see anything except flashes of the night before when he had whispered in her ear just the same.

I jumped when Stacey laid her hand on my shoulder, blinking away the small tears forming in my eyes as I turned and smiled at her. "Let's get the hell out of here."