"A little more"

I blinked, staring up at the mist, my view slightly obscured by the cellar roof. "Huh, I'm not dead." That realization was somewhat of a surprise to me. When I blacked out I'd half expected to never wake up again. Maybe I was a ghost? I looked down at myself, at my scrawny frame, mostly visible through my cannibalized T-shirt. I also saw the blood-soaked bandages on my side. No, I was still alive, my skin, as pasty as it was, did not glow, and while ghosts could feel pain, the injury that killed them was generally the only one the crossed over with them. I lot more of me hurt than just my side.

I wiped a hand across my sweat-stained face, even that small motion causing pain to ripple through me. I wanted nothing more than to close my eyes and go back to sleep. Judging by how my side felt, it wouldn't be asleep I would wake up from. But after a few moments of hesitation, I snarled. I was going to be the only one to die in this cellar. I started crawling towards Blair, taking the utmost care not to catch the branch on anything as I went. Once I reached her, I began to gather cans. Soups, meats, anything I could get my hands on, even spam. Although I grabbed them last.

One by one I began opening the cans, thanking God, and Blair, that the cans had easy pull lids. I opened dozens of the things. Once I had accrued a large pile, I started force-feeding her. Pouring soup into her mouth, forcing her limp jaw to chew the chunks of beef and potato, then massaging her throat until she swallowed. I went through about three cans that way when her eyes opened.

Brilliant Red orbs staring into my eyes. I didn't pause, calmly bringing another can of soup to her mouth. She immediately began to gulp it down, her eyes staying locked with mine the entire time.

The next five cans went down much faster after she finished the fifth can, I decided to move to spam.

It was a little trickier, as she was still too weak to move anything other than her eyes and mouth and spam was a lot harder to feed someone than soup. It was also a lot denser in calories however, so It was worth the trade-off.

After about fifteen cans she started using her uninjured hand to grab more and dump them into her mouth. Slowly at first, but she quickly speed up, tearing through the opened food at an alarming rate. I quickly switched rolls, opening new cans before she finished off the remainders.

The cellar had become oppressively hot, her body radiating heat like a furnace, so hot that little bit of steam was rising from her skin. I laid back, closing my eyes as I rested.

Keeping them closed, I searched around me, continuing to open more cans as she ate.

I lost track of how many cans I opened, but I lost track of a lot of things. Like how long it had been since the wendigo had attacked, or how many injuries I had, or reasons not to go to sleep. I pondered that last one for a while, thinking about it until blackness took me. I slept with almost no dreams, almost nothing could wake me. Not even the bellows and scrapes as the wendigo's tried to reach their arms in to grasp us. Nor Blair's warm body as she dragged me deep into the cellar, or her low growls. I was too far gone for any of it to wake me. However, when the wave of magic came thundering across the forest, crashing through the world like a tsunami, I woke up.

Luckily for us, we weren't its targets. The arms of the wendigo's that were still reaching for us froze. Just like the big one had, and then they shattered. I knew who this magic belonged to, "Mrs blunder, You came through in time after all."

With the knowledge that the wendigoes were gone, I felt my eyelids become heavy again, and the world once again faded away.