Ch. 25

-

"I'd been holding on to you for so long,

but now I must let go.

There's nothing I can do for you.

It's the only way to make you happy,

so I let go."

-

Taeyong's cold body laid limp in your arms as you burst into tears. Chan ran up to you, checking for a pulse in your friend's corpse. After finding no sign of a heartbeat, he pulled you in an embrace, stroking your hair softly as you cried on his strong shoulder. You've never felt this broken before, and the feeling was beyond painful. 

It was hell. 

After a few minutes, your body calmed down from the shock of the events. In your peripheral vision, you saw a large group of allied mafia members exit the mansion... with two bodies. You stopped breathing a bit, your mind racing with thoughts. 

No, it can't be.

When Chan called out for a stretcher so Taeyong's corpse could be carried into an open van, you hauled up the hems of your blood-stained wedding dress and ran in your heels to the group holding the other two bodies. Your eyes desperately searched for the faces, and your heart broke a second time--maybe a bit less painful than the first. 

The lifeless bodies of Lucas and Ryujin were laid in stretchers as well. You observed the several bullet wounds that were on their corpses, the final outcome of their decisions. You noticed that they were holding hands, as if they knew it would be their last time together on this earth. To you, it was like a Shakespearean play was happening before your very eyes. Lucas as a lying, deceiving Romeo and Ryujin as a cunning, serpentine Juliet. However, you refused to make any more judgments  about them. The two were already dead--during their young adult years as well. What a waste of two otherwise potential souls. 

Though Taeyong's death marked a loss for you and your suicide squad, there was one thing that was certain:

The tide of war seemed to have finally turned.