xii. fellas, i think he's possessed

Start from the beginning

  "I know."

  He nodded and went silent for a moment before speaking up again, "Is that normal to you?"

  Rue shrugged, blowing her nose on the tissue.

  "Her arm," the Whisper said, "it must be on her arm if I'm right."

  "Here, Rue," Bob came back, handing Rue the cup of water. She took it gingerly, taking small sips, feeling the cool water rush down her throat, and she noticed how dry it was.

  "How's Will?" she asked, looking at Joyce when she sat down next to Will's sleeping figure on the bed. The woman smiled sadly, running her fingers through Will's hair. "Did you find out what's wrong?"

  Joyce sighed, pursing her lips and shaking her head. "Not yet, we're just waiting for him to wake up."

  As if on cue, Will began to shift on the bed, "Mom?" he called in a quiet voice. Bob beamed before running out of the room, calling for a doctor.

  Joyce smiled and her boy, who looked a lot healthier than the day before. She held his hand, asking if he felt better.

  Bob ran back into the room, "They're on their way," he said, standing next to Joyce, grinning at Will. "Hey, buddy."

  Will gave him an unamused look, "Who is that?" he asked in a shaky voice.

  "What?" Joyce huffed in disbelief.

  Bob's smile ran off his face, and he furrowed his eyebrows, "It's me, big guy, it's Bob," he went to hold his hand, but Will moved it away.

  "Are you a . . . " he looked at Rue's father up and down, his eyes catching the blue scrubs he wore. " . . . Doctor?"

  "No . . . no, it's just me . . . just . . . " he looked over at his daughter for a second before looking back at the boy, "just Bob."

  Rue felt as if all the air got knocked out of her lungs while she watched. She couldn't believe what she was hearing, and by the looks of it, Mike couldn't either.

  The sound of the monitor beeping filled Rue's ears as Dr. Owens did some checkups with Will. The girl stood between Mike and her dad with her hands shoved deep in her pockets as she stared at the tiled floor.

  "Do you know your name?" Dr. Owens finally asked, making Rue glance up. She remembered the doctors asking her the same thing after the car accident.

  "Will," the boy said, wires taped from his forehead and his cheeks.

  "Your full name?"

  "William Byers,"

  Dr. Owens nodded, shifting in his seat. "Do you know who I am?"

  Will closed his eyes for a second as if he was trying to remember before he gave up and said: "A doctor."

  "Have we met before?"

  "I don't remember."

  Dr. Owens hummed in response, taking a glance at the other doctor. Rue furrowed his eyes, looking over Mike's head to see them. Her green eyes scanning them up and down, they didn't seem much like doctors. She snapped back to reality as Dr. Owens pointed a mike, asking if Will remembered him.

  Mike's breath hitched as he sent Will an awkward wave.

  "That's my friend," Will started, tripping over his words. "Mike."

  The boy let out a small breath of relief as he smiled.

  "What about me, kid? You remember me?" The chief of police said out of the blue, a smile of hope over his face. However, it didn't wipe away when Will shook his head no. "They tell me you helped save me last night. You remember that?"