Chapter 2 - That happy feeling of new friendships - part 2

Start from the beginning

Andie rolled her eyes.

"Ten seconds ago you were telling me to stay away from him!"

"That doesn't mean you can't go on a date with him."

Andie rolled her eyes again. There was nothing to do. Try as she might, she would never understand how Jessica's mind worked. Or even how two such different people could be friends like they were.

"What about you, Isabelle?"

"Oh, I'm not sure I'll go... I didn't when I lived in Fresno, I didn't go out much."

"Why not?"

"It's a little depressing when you're alone," she said uncomfortably.

"But this is Olympia. And you have us now." Andie said.

"I won't if you all have dates." she replied.

"Who says we'll have any?" Emily said.

"I do!" Jessica interjected. "I am not going looking hot as hell without a date!"

The three girls looked at each other and burst out laughing.

The day wore on, and Andie was hurrying to her next class which was History, when she bumped into someone and dropped her books.

"Oh, shoot! Sorry," she said to the girl she'd collided with.

The girl shrugged and walked off while Andie crouched to pick up her books.

"You know those round, colorful things on your face? They're called eyes, I hear they're useful," said a voice beside her.

"Yeah, thanks..." Andie said, not looking up, but rolling her eyes. "I'll remember that next time I-"

She had looked up before she could stop herself. And stared. There, standing in front of her, his bag hanging casually on his shoulder, was...

"You're in my Spanish class," she said.

"I'm flattered you noticed, Picasso," he grinned. "You okay?"

"Uh... yeah. I'm okay, thanks... But I'm especially really late..."

She fumbled about trying to get her books, dropped half of them and flushed when the stranger laughed.

"Here, let me help you..."

"I'll get you late for class," she mumbled.

"I'm done. Come on, I'll walk with you."

Surprised, she found herself say:

"... Okay."

He handed her some of her books.

"Thanks", she said and they made their way up the corridor.

"So what should I call you, Picasso?" he grinned.

She rolled her eyes, but smiled.

'It's Andie."

"Bane."

He held out his hand. She smiled and shook it, even if a little awkwardly because of the books.

"It's funny... I've had several Spanish classes, but I never noticed you..."

"Oh, I was never noticed by anyone much. I like my peace. I pretend I'm not there so after a while everyone else does."

"... Why would you do that? It sounds kind of lonely, if you ask me..."

Bane shrugged.

"I've always felt kind of... separate from anyone else. I felt like they could never really understand me, and that I couldn't either."