Nyctophobia

Trigger warning: Slight Foul Language, Description of Injury

~Arachnophobia~

When (Name) came back to the waking world it wasn't as sudden nor as harsh as the other times she had within the past few days. Instead, it came creeping slowly, like black feathers tickling her inner core. The pale moonlight disturbed her face, caressing in a sweet, longing embrace, causing (Name) to sink further into whatever object she'd been laying upon moments before. Fabric, perhaps? Whatever it was felt as soft as silk. (Name) was sure she hadn't had anything like this in her apartment, perhaps Penelope had dropped off a blanket or some comforter as a gift? Either way, she couldn't bring herself to care. This object had to be fluffier than a cloud...

Sinking further into its inviting warmth, (Name) let out a groan as she tried to find the perfect position. It took a bit of time, but eventually she found it. This, however, wouldn't stay for long as a clawed hand gently sifted through a few strands of her hair. As quickly as she'd found comfort, it had been taken away with the snap, or...brush, of a stray finger. A sense of urgency filled (Name)'s chest as she shifted from the spot where she'd lain. It was here that she realized how awkward the ground felt. Had it always been this smooth?

Opening her eyes, the woman was suddenly met with the makings of glass, sturdy, strong, and reflective. She could see everything, from the scrapes and scratches that had been etched into the surface, to the tanned abomination of a man waiting back where she had formerly lain. As if repeating the past, an ear-splitting shriek leapt from her throat at the mere sight of him. The instinct for fight or flight filled her body with an energy she hadn't had in days, urging her legs forward despite the obvious protest of her injuries. Keeling over, (Name) couldn't help but cry. The man, to his credit, approached as cautiously as he could. God, even his movements were odd, skittering from left to right as if he were actually some kind of...The woman felt as if she'd lose the contents of her stomach right there.

"Melada," He intoned, his hands raised slightly in a manner mimicking the one she'd done when they first met.

Despite the near constant assurance, this only assisted the fire burning within her lungs. The man, even with all his crooning and soft pitch, had to eventually cover his ears from the anxious whine which reverberated off the walls. (Name) took no time at all moving to the corner of the cave, as far away as she could get away from both her captor and savior. Had her leg not been so messed up (and evidently, placed within a stint), she would have run away that very instant. Even in her volatile state, though, she knew she'd not be able to outrun anyone with two functioning legs, let alone eight.

"This is all just some nightmare," (Name) rationalized to herself. "I'll wake up back at Dad's or Penny's or...or... "

(Name) broke down, the reality of everything that had happened finally cracking her in twine. Oh, how she wished it had all been some dream or perhaps even a nightmare to be more accurate. Sadly, reality was far crueler than any dream she could conjure at any point or time. After what felt like hours, or perhaps mere minutes, (Name) finally quieted her screaming. She was reduced to the occasionally whine or whimper, but through it all, the man never left. In fact, he shifted, closer and closer still, cautious but ever persistent in his mission. Soon enough, he slid a weary arm around the frightened woman and despite her fear, some little part of herself accepted the warmth of the other.

This heightened state of fear and somewhat understanding peppered the interactions the two had for the next few days. No break, no respite from the horror of the living nightmare before her, (Name) didn't want to admit she was getting used to it. On the other side of the cave, the man took his little victories to heart. In some feeble attempt not to terrify the poor woman, he took to hiding from her line of sight. He was massive, so not every spot could hide his presence, but they could at least live in somewhat harmony with one another. It was hard to pretend he wasn't there...not with the little gifts and indicators he'd leave behind. Each day she found the fruits and meats he'd leave behind for her to eat, though she ignored each one, only getting up to drink every now and then from a nearby fountain.