on your side

Bri sat on Chris' bed and waited for him to put his dirty dishes in the kitchen. She fiddled with her fingers and swung her legs to the beat of a random song that was stuck in her head.

It was weird to sneak away from Sebastian to talk to Chris, and Bri felt a little guilty and irritated that she had to keep them apart before they blew up at each other. It was like she was their babysitter and it was ridiculous.

She felt a real connection with Sebastian. Bri assumed he was just into the idea of becoming her friend. He had even said so on their little outing earlier. She didn't know if she really wanted a relationship again, especially after she found out she could be manipulated and ran over so easily.

It wasn't like she didn't have the dream of getting married, buying a house, and having children with a significant other. She just wanted to live her life and organize her own career before starting any of that.

Bri never knew how to take time for herself. Being apart from Chris and learning how to grow and explore new options on her own was really working for her. She managed to secure a well paying job, made new friends, and wasn't as nervous around new people as she used to be.

She could see herself living a life with Seb. Bri also knew that she and Chris had made a dramatic and serious pact about marrying each other when they were older if they hadn't found love yet. She didn't understand why both of the men would randomly get jealous.

Chris knew she would move away from their friendship eventually, but they would always come to one another in a time of need. Sebastian and Bri had grown super close since they both moved in. They were riding the same wave length and both had the same relationship problems in the past.

Bri just wanted to do her own thing without someone controlling her. After all, that is why she moved across the country. Having a new awakening became a big deal for her.

"Hey." Chris softly smiled and kicked off his shoes near his closet.

Bri looked up at him and scooted over so he could properly sit next to her. "Hi."

Chris took in a deep breath and turned slightly so he could face Bri. "I really don't know where to start. I didn't think you'd actually want to speak to me, so give me a quick second."

"How about I start?" She shook her head and chuckled under her breath. Chris was never good with communication. "I have a lot to tell you anyways."

"Go on, I'm just here collecting my thoughts."

"I don't know why you and Sebastian all of a sudden can't be in the same room with each other. If the main reason is about me, then you two need to deal with that. I don't want any part of it. You're both my friends and you of all people should know that making new friends is a big deal for me." She wiped her hands on her thighs and groaned.

Chris nodded. "I do know that."

"Then why can't we all just sit in the living room and have a family dinner, or a movie night?" Bri rose a brow. "Why do I have to choose between you two and make the other one upset? This is not middle school and both of you are getting into your thirties."

"I just turned thirty, thank you very much." Chris crossed his arms. "And I didn't realize I was being possessive until Anthony pointed it out to me today."

"Anthony is a genius." Bri rolled her eyes.

Chris jokingly shoved her shoulder. "He brought it to my attention that you moved into a new chapter of your life so you can become the person you want to be; not the person I thought you would always be."