Chapter Thirty: Never Leave My Side

"Good morning," I sing as I thump down the stairs. Kate groans as her head pops up from the couch and she stretches her arms into the air.

"Morning, Kayla," she yawns. "I think I need to get a massage. This couch is seriously killing my back."

I reach into the fridge pulling out a juicy red apple taking a big bite with a loud crunch.

"Has John tried to call you yet?" I ask her nervously.

Kate drags herself off the couch sitting down at the kitchen table. She wraps her silk robe tightly around her petite figure.

"Yeah, he called me last night demanding to know where I was. I told him I was done and I'm never coming back. I informed him that I want a divorce and if he tries to find me I'll press charges against him for domestic violence."

"Oh God," I gasp covering my hand across my mouth in response. "What did he say?"

"He got angry at first saying that I was foolish and acting like an attention seeking child. Then he said I wasn't worth his time anymore. He agreed to my conditions saying he should of gotten rid of me a long time ago."

"I can't believe he agreed so easily," I shake my head in shock.

"It's not like he really cared about me. I'm sure he will find a young gold digger to suck up his ass easily enough."

As horrible as that sounds, it's a very realistic expectation. He's a handsome man with lots of money. Their are plenty of desperate woman out there on the hunt.

"How do you feel?"

"I feel free, Kayla," Kate gives me a heartwarming smile. "I feel like a bird that has learned to fly. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you. It was you who gave me the strength leave him."

I wrap my arms around her neck from behind squeezing her tight. Over the past year I have grown to love Kate. We defiantly had a rough start in the beginning. I resented her for abandoning me as a child. I didn't think I could ever forgive her for that. She put in so much effort to prove that the decision she made years ago was the wrong one.

She finally felt like family.

"All we need is a little support sometimes," I remind her.

"You seem different today, Kayla. I don't know what it is, but you seem, happier."

I grin to myself knowing that her words hold truth. The darkness linger in the shadows of my soul has evaporated leaving me feeling pure again. That hatred I had towards myself for so long was gone. I feel like an entirely new person.

"I am," I whisper quietly. I don't know if she can hear me, but it doesn't matter. "I'm going out today. I'll see you later."

"Have fun, darling."

I give her another right hug before skipping out the door.

~*~

"Look at how cute my girl is," Daniel squishes Olivia's cheeks.

"Oh, stop that," she swats his hand away roughly playing around.

"Trying to pick a fight with Daniel?" Jeremy jokes. "You're pretty audacious."

"Oh, you should see her in bed," Daniel winks.

My poor virgin ears did not need to hear that. I don't want to have that frightening mental image stuck in my head.

"Oh, you only wish I took you to bed," Olivia states confidently. "You know very well that has yet to happen. Every time you make those sexual comments about me, I'm adding another week of waiting to the calendar."