Chapter Seventeen: They are Going at it in There

"Can I ask you something?" I slide onto the barstool in the kitchen. Kate is hovered on the stove stirring the sauce for the she made for her pasta dish.

"Of course," she tries a spoonful of sauce, nodding her head when she realizes it tastes perfect.

"There is a party tonight that my friends invited me to. I was wondering if I would be allowed to go?"

"A party?" Kate sets down her spoon and turns to face me. "I didn't think you'd want to go to a party after last time."

"I know," I sigh. "I really didn't want to go at first, but I should face my fears at some point. I figured going would help me get over what happened."

"I guess that would be alright," she purses her lips unsure of her decision.

She wants to be a good parent, but it's obvious she's not sure what to do. The poor girl doesn't know a thing about raising a teenager. This is a huge change from what her life used to look like. "I have some conditions though," she eventually adds.

"Okay, what are they?"

"You have to be home at midnight," she states. I nod in silent agreement. That wasn't an unreasonable request. "That's is late enough for a young girl like yourself to be out. Second of all, you're not to to take even a sip of alcohol. I realize some teenagers drinking underage, but I don't want to deal with that."

"I won't even have a drop," I confirm. After what happened last time, I'm turned away from the though of drinking liquor. It makes my feel sick in the very pit of my stomach. The memory of my drunken call that caused my father to rush to the party gives me shivers to my very core.

The call that got him killed.

"I'm glad we are on the same page," Kate looks at my intently for a minute. "I guess that means you can go. Who's party is it?"

"Tanya Wilson."

"Okay, just text me the address of her house once you get there in case something happens."

"Sounds good, I'm going to go get ready," I race upstairs to my room. I've already got my straightener plugged in and my makeup out. I run the flatiron over my hair so it lays pin straight down my back ending just above my waist. As I stand in the bathroom mirror doing my makeup my stomach begins to churn. My nerves are starting I get the better of me. I take deep breaths trying to calm down.

"You need to get over yourself," I stare at myself in the mirror. "It is just a party. Something bad happened last time, that doesn't mean it will this time. You need to get out of this house and be a teenager," I order myself with determination. I grab my outfit that is hanging on the bathroom door. My dark smokey eye along with my black attire gives me a mysterious, sexy look. Leo is defiantly going to lose his mind.

"Are you leaving now?" Kate asks as I clunk down the stairs.

"Olivia is almost here," I respond.

"What are you wearing?" John closes his laptop what he was previously hinged over at the kitchen table.

"Oh you're home," I acknowledge before answering his question. "It's my new outfit."

"I hope you don't think you're going out wearing that," he stands up adjusting his tie so it's not so tight around his neck. He strolls over to the kitchen counter leaning up against it.

"I think she looks nice," Kate comes to my defence. She smiles at me as she scans my outfit.

"Don't you think she looks a little too nice?"

"What's that suppose to mean?" I ask half paying attention as I secure my heels on my feet.

"She is going to give boys the wrong idea. Just look at what she's wearing. She's basically asking for it," John gestures to me before crossing his arms.