Part 39

"Ma'am, Ma'am, what do you want to say about ex-husband's company being convicted in the production of dangerous drugs and the fact that his current wife leads the Committee which filed the case?" questioned the reporter as Rati glared at the reporter.

"If you are addressing him to be my ex-husband then you should be knowing that we were married in the past and not now. As amicable as we are, I do not want to comment on the happenings and I would request you to stop hounding the couple about it. There is absolutely no need to mix their professional and personal lives and I believe that they will find their way out since I have utmost trust on the two of them," replied Rati, signing to her bodyguards to guide the reporters out.

She had to make her entry out of her home after numerous calls and pleading from the media to the point where she felt that if she had not given the statement, her silence would be extrapolated into her acceptance of Arnav being the culprit which was not the result she aimed for.

Rati walked into her home and pulled her phone out as she dialed Khushi's number, well aware that she would be the prime-target for the journalists and she had no experience in answering the media, only increasing her troubles.

_____________________________________________

Khushi's Flat,

Khushi stared the first page of the newspaper numbly where the pictures of herself and her husband being on the opposite sides of justice were printed with heart-wrenching suggestions and headlines. The number of messages and calls she was receiving compelled her to put her phone on the airplane mode so that she could have the little bit of peace she could ask for, given the situation.

The three companies involved were few of the most trusted and most popular amongst the doctors and civilians alike and to see them letting the trust down was the worst fear coming true. It was also true that the love in Khushi's heart asked her to side with her husband but she wondered if she would be able to give him another chance honestly, with every cell of hers resonating in her decision, after what his irresponsibility had caused.

"He did not want it to happen intentionally, fine. He did not tell you because you were not in the right situation, acceptable, but is it acceptable and fine to be so irresponsible about your company which is dealing with thousands of lives? So ignorant that he did not bother crosschecking the composition when the ethics and approval committee sent it back and instead bribed them? I think you should rethink about him, Beta," read the message from her father, the only message she had bothered to read from the morning and she was sure that there were many more waiting, which she had not received due to her choice.

She knew that it was not the time to sulk or ponder over every possibility but the time to act. She removed the airplane mode to contact the legal advisor of her clinic when she received a call, with an immaculate timing.

"Khushi! I didn't expect the call to be connected after all these tries! How are you?" questioned Rati, her concerned voice making myriads of emotions run in her mind.

"I don't think I have an answer for that at the moment, Rati. You were trying since long?" asked Khushi, sighing deeply.

"Quite understandable, Khushi, but do take care of yourself. Arnav really needs you at this time, when probably no one believes him and no one is ready to stand by his side, I am sure you are his only hope and your support would mean the world to him," replied Rati, a sad smile playing on her lips as she sent out a prayer to the couple in her mind.

"What do you think? Did you know of the case?" Khushi asked, wondering if she was the only one who was kept in dark.

"We live in the same city and Media loves, well, hates me so I was bound to know. I am sure there has been a mistake because Arnav would never intentionally harm children. He loves them too much for him to allow that to happen. Anyways, since we spoke of media, I am sure they would be hounding you for an interview now and you have no experience, no offense, so I thought if you would want the help of my PR to tackle this issue because it is the best if you give an interview rather than letting people speculate," explained Rati, eying the various newspapers highlighting their silence over the issue.

Khushi pondered over the idea momentarily. "Your PR Team can handle this?"

"I know why you are apprehensive, Khushi. This is a new team and much more efficient, I promise you won't be in trouble like me due to the Team and media. Of course, if you want to look at other choices, go ahead but just wanted to let you know that you are welcome to use mine," said Rati, the past memories which tore her apart, created due to the lack of efficiency of the previous PR Team, playing on the canvas of her mind.

"If you say so, let's go ahead with it, Rati. Thank you so much," thanked Khushi, the sadness clutching her in a grip she had previously not known.

"Don't. I am not doing this for you. I am doing this for my peace and..."

"Love. I know. The only emotion which can make you do things you wouldn't imagine."

___________________________________________________

After an hour,

"Anurag and Vivek managed to transfer the entire database on the Company's systems onto this laptop. Whatever data you need, I hope, will be found here," said Arnav, handing over the laptop to Khushi, who began to analyse the data.

"They just gave away the composition in the court to the experts but we cannot ascertain under which name they had been entered into the system, since it does not recognize the drug," pointed Khushi, switching the laptop on and prompting Arnav to enter the password to the access the database.

Khoosi.

His passcode made a shiver run across her spine as the very word got absorbed into every cell of hers, causing them to resonate with the emotion filled in the word - love.

"That's right but there are not a lot of drugs they could have manipulated, definitely not to the extent that approval committee would approve it even with bribing. I mean to say, that the original pharmacological side effects must have been pretty close to the dangers indicated by the new ones," said Arnav, pulling Khushi out of her reverie, as she decided that it was for the best if she focused at the situation in hand and let the love triumph rather than lose herself in love and allow the most esteemed emotion of her life to surrender.

"The Bench said that the drugs cause severe neurodeficiency and interfere with the development of nervous system and hence sensations. The drugs are also particularly harmful for the children so maybe it has something to with the thyroxine or thyroid gland for that matter. How many such drugs did you manufacture this year that were used to treat thyroid disorders?" demanded Khushi as her command over the subject shook Arnav as he had failed to notice the same despite mastering in Pharmacology.

"About three of them but we introduced only two of them into the market this year. We were lagging in the thyroid department especially since others had already made several drugs. I can't believe that the desperation took away everything from me," cursed Arnav, raking his fingers through his hair as Khushi placed a concerned arm over his free hand.

"Not everything is lost, Arnav. Not yet. Not if we catch the actual criminal and bring him to justice. You are guilty for being irresponsible, probably since years, and its time that you overcome the same. I am waiting for the moment when you will be declared free of all charges, both by the judiciary and the insolent and rebellious part of mine - my conscience."

_______________________

Please VOTE and COMMENT!