Part 17

It seemed as if their souls connected with each other through the gentle yet soul-searing kiss which Arnav had planted on Khushi's abdomen. Blood coursed through their vessels at a pace they were not aware of before and their body responded with an involuntary piloerection arising from bliss.

Arnav pulled away and gently rose up to face her. The way she had clenched her eyes shut with a beautiful red due splayed across her cheeks glowing with pregnancy ecstasy had endeared her to him more than ever. He gently cupped her jaw and placed a firm kiss in the partition of her hairline.

"Thank you so much, Khoosi, for giving me the best gift of my life. You have no idea how happy you have made me. I will forever be indebted to you," he whispered against her forehead.

An overwhelming urge to rest her head against the love of her life's chest, and hear the heartbeats arising from it developed in her but when the realization that the rhythm of his heart produced just Rati's name struck her, it was just melancholy which drowned her.

She could not bring herself to say anything in response to him. Being the mother to his child was the most ecstatic part of her life but the conditions they were in, she could not rejoice as much as she could. He would be leaving back the next day morning and her cravings for him which had only intensified after receiving the news of pregnancy would torture her.

"Something worrying you, Khoosi?" he questioned, studying her expressions ranging from happiness, confusion and then finally pain.

"I was just worried it is a new place. Obviously it would take sometime to acclimatize. That's all," she said, not wanting to share her inner turmoil and burden him.

"I will try my best to recreate home-like experience for you, even while being away. I will try to call you as many times as I can. I will ask Rachna also to stay in contact more than usual. I will just be a call away, whenever and whatever you need, Khoosi. It's a promise," he vowed, dropping his hands to her hands and intertwining their fingers together, symbolizing his promise to her.

The honesty which laced his tone and the affection which he showered through his eyes combined with his words to completely overwhelm Khushi. She flung herself into Arnav's arms and wrapped her arms tightly around him. The warmth of his persona and his body seemed to seep right through her soul and heal the scars which had been present for so long that Khushi forgot how it felt without them.

Arnav encircled his arms around her and pulled her closer, feeling more at home than ever. Her straightforwardness and ability to love unconditionally had always stood out to him but being in her arms as the father of her unborn, he felt it was worth every sin and every crime.

The tune which his heartbeats sang out lulled her into a solace which she found only in her father's loving arms. Protective, possessive and patient, her father knew how to erase her every worry just as Arnav seemed to know to heal her every scar. Only her father was just hers but Arnav? He was never hers to begin with.

"I am sorry," said Khushi suddenly, pulling out of his embrace and looking everywhere except him. She did not want to put him in a tight spot by letting her emotions rule her as the realization struck her hard. She was not completely sure of where their relationship stood and if Arnav still loved his wife as much as he did since ages.

"Don't. I understand, Khoosi. Don't ever apologize for loving anyone. Sometimes your love can give them a reason to live and sometimes it's the only thing which stops them from giving up. I don't know how much has changed since your love filled the void in my life, Khoosi, but I am sure that if it didn't, I might not be able to survive," he replied earnestly with a faint half-smile on his face.

Khushi gently nodded at him while pulling the ends of lips into a smile to pull his spirits up.

"May I?" he asked, signing towards the bed and her.

"Your wish," she said, unaware if he was anticipating an approval or expecting a rejection.

"Then this is my wish," he said, scooping her up in his arms in a smooth move but in a gentle manner to avoid giving jerks to her body which could have adverse effects on her and her unborn.

Khushi clutched his shirt firmly as she looked into his eyes to find any malicious intentions. Not a lot of men had the courtesy and manners to not take advantage of a woman who offers her everything to them and disrespect them but when she found respect and admiration floating in his eyes along with her image, she could feel her heart swell in pride for loving a man like him.

He gently placed her on the bed and adjusted the pillows as per her preference. He wanted to spend the night in her blessed company before he leaves for the city and loses her sight for a few days. He turned around to leave when Khushi's grip on his hand stopped him.

"You can spend the night here, Arnav. I don't mind. You have a right to spend time with your unborn," said Khushi, listening to the voice of his heart and the unsaid.

"You don't have to do this, Khoosi," he offered, knowing that it would be harder for her to let go if she spends more time in his company.

"I don't have to? When you love a person, it becomes your duty to do everything in your capacity to ensure their happiness, security and peace. I am just doing my duty, Arnav. Also, the baby needs to bond with his or her father and I would not want my baby to suffer because of me," she answered, her eyes gleaming with love for him.

That moment Arnav knew that he had never learned to love like she did. While he thought that momentary happiness was everything and did his best to ensure that for Rati, he knew that he lagged in providing her security and peace.

He quietly crept up the bed beside her and he was in for a surprise when Khushi took his hand in hers and placed it against her slightly swollen abdomen with an innocent and genuine smile playing on her lips.

"Good night, baby and baby's Papa," she greeted, the teasing glint in her eyes back after long.

He moved his other arm and slightly patted on her forehead in a rhythmic manner to lull her into deep slumber.

"Good night to you too, Khoosi. May every dream of yours be sweet and come true," he wished, affectionately caressing her hair as she soon fell into the embrace of comforting sleep and Arnav soon followed her suite soon.

Little did he know that he was already fulfilling one of her sweetest and best dreams by comforting her into sleep.

-------------------------

It was awkward writing this chapter. I hope I did justice to the part. Happy Anniversary to all IPKKND fans out there! Please vote and comment. Love you! 

A present to you all on IPKKND Anniversary: https://www.wattpad.com/story/140701400-shades-of-love