Chapter 22

Sonic's P.O.V.
I woke up feeling numb, my body ached like never before. I slowly opened my eyes, the light blinding me for a couple of seconds. I looked to the side and my heart stopped as I saw Shadow on a hospital bed, connected to countless machines and breathing slowly, the heart monitor beating even slower.

I gasped and stood up, disconnecting everything from me then dashed to Shadow, my eyes watered immediately at the sight. "Shadow...?" I softly and hesitantly called his name, but I got no response. I sat on the chair next to the bed not being able to stand up from the pain.

I noticed that we were both covered in bandages, but I looked healthier than Shadow, he was skinny, shaking lightly, his stripes on his quills had lost the brightness they always had, his muzzle was pale, it had lost its beautiful tan color.

I tried to not break down, I was sleeping while he was being tortured, I was sleeping while he was dying.

I held his hand and squeezed it gently, not wanting to hurt him.

"How are you feeling?" Tails asked softly from behind me, knowing better to not tell me to lay down.

"H-horrible." I mumbled as I looked at Shadow. How could I do this to him?

"It's not your fault Sonic. You still saved him." He patted my back gently and sat beside me. "Do you remembered what happened...?"

I shook my head slowly, but I was sure Dark had done everything.

"That's right" Dark smirked, he was listening to my thoughts.

"Did you bring Shadow here?" I thought as I stared at Shadow, the pain getting worse and worse.

"Yes, he was still breathing so I brought him back." Dark answered, I slightly smiled and squeezed Shadow's hand one more time.

"Thank you." I thought and rubbed Shadow's hand with my thumb.

"Yeah yeah, whatever." He rolled his eyes and huffed. "But shouldn't thank me yet, he might not make it."

I dropped my ears and sighed then looked at Tails. "Can you leave me alone please...?" I didn't want to talk to anyone at the moment.

Tails slowly nodded and stood up. "Call me if you need anything." He slightly smiled and walked away, leaving me alone with Shadow.

I knew Dark had left as well, he wasn't as bad as others might think, but when someone pushes me to my limit, he snaps and kills everyone.

I looked at Shadow, my heart shattering at his condition, it was obvious that he might not make it, his body is too weak, he can barely breathe.

And all of this is my fault.