"I know this must be a shock for you. It would be a complete shock to anyone who wasn't born into it," she said with understanding. "But I don't want you to be too hard on Shea, or your mother. Both of them only want what is best for you.

"I knew your mother. Amanda and I were friends. And I have never seen anyone more afraid, and more completely out of their element than I had when your father brought Amanda into our pack to meet us all. He had wanted to for years, but he was afraid, and for good reason, it turned out.

"Amanda tried so hard to be a part of us. She really did. But she was a kid herself, with her own issues, and on top of that, she had found out that she was pregnant. Knowing that she was going to be a mother brought Amanda clarity, I think. The decision to protect your child above anything else is second nature to a mother. She did what she thought was best for you."

But how could taking me away from my father be what's best for me? "I understand where you are all coming from. I know that my wellbeing was at the forefront of all your minds, but it would have been nice to be consulted," I said quietly. "I don't want anyone deciding what is best for me. I decide." I stood up from the couch and took a deep breath. "Shea, can you take me home, please?" I asked.

Shea nodded and stood silently, an expression of apprehension on his face.

"It was really nice to meet you, Karen," I said sincerely.

"You as well, Sara. I hope to see you again soon," she replied, following us out to the front door.

The car ride back into town was a silent one. I could tell that Shea was tense and nervous. He had done something wonderful this afternoon, in showing me my dad, but he had also revealed yet another untruth. He knew who my dad was all this time.

I got it. I knew he was trying to protect me. Just like Mom was trying to protect me. But at the end of the day, they were still lying to me. Mom's lie ... Mom's was way worse.

Mom had lied to me my entire life. Starting from giving me wrong information about my father's death. She had told me he had died when I was two. From what I had learned, it sounded as though he had died shortly after I was born.

She had let me believe he was little more than a sperm donor by neglecting to tell me anything about him. She hadn't told me that she had been the one to leave him. She hadn't told me that he had wanted a family, or that he had been excited to be my dad.

And perhaps the biggest lie of all was that my DNA was ... well, I wasn't entirely sure what the hell was in my DNA. I certainly couldn't transform into a creature, but what would she have done if I had been able to? Leave meas well?

I knew that was ridiculous, but really, my Mom had a lot to answer for.

And Shea? I stole a glance sideways at him. His eyes were firmly fixed on the road. His arms were tense, and his hands were firmly placed at a ten and two o'clock position. I could tell that it was killing him not asking me questions or knowing what was going on inside my head.

I didn't even know what was going on inside my head.

Shea pulled up outside my house, and I saw that my mom's Mercedes was still there. She hadn't left. Shea cut the engine, and let his arms drop to his sides. I heard him exhale.

"Do you want me to come inside?" he asked softly.

"No," I replied. "I think it's best if Mom and I talk alone."

Shea nodded.

"I honestly think I'm okay with the lycan thing," I told him after a moment of silence. I didn't know how that was the easiest part of today to get over, but it was. "It's the lying that's really bothering me."