III. Sally's

"Polar north can't get away from a magnet; the magnet finds it, no matter what." Jodi Picoult, Handle With Care

----

Chapter III – Sally's

I managed to avoid Shea for the rest of the day. Though, as he was senior, it was simple to avoid him in my classes, but I was terrified that I would run into him in the halls and have an overwhelming desire to make out with him in front of fifty teenagers.

I dumped my things in my newly located locker, put my homework for the night in my book bag, and sprinted out into the lot. I was able to get into my car and start it without seeing Shea again.

As I drove back towards my house, I found myself back on the main street of Providence. It was there that I saw Sally's diner once more, and I was reminded of my thought to ask if they were hiring.

I parked my car in one of the spots in front of the diner and went inside.

Sally's was a cute diner which clearly used their beachside location as inspiration for décor. Driftwood, seashells and jars of sand and starfish were scattered about the walls and tables. The smell in the air was delicious. Coffee and fresh baking.

I walked up to the counter confidently and smiled at the woman who stood at the coffee machine. She was an older woman, probably in her fifties, with perfectly styled red hair and a bright red lip to match. She wore a pale blue uniform with a cute white apron, and a name tag that said 'Sally'. She was the owner.

When she noticed me, she smiled, the skin around her blue eyes crinkling. "What can I get for you, sweetheart?" she asked kindly. "I've just made a fresh pot."

"Hi, thanks, yeah, coffee would be great." Though after the day I've had, caffeine probably wouldn't be advisable. I fished out my wallet from my bag and pulled out some cash to pay her. "I was also wondering if you had any jobs going?" I asked. "My name is Sara, and my mom and I just moved to Providence, so I am looking for some work if you have any shifts."

Her eyes saddened. "Oh, honey, tourist season is over. I'm really not that busy," she said regretfully.

Crap. Was it only possible to find work in this town in the summer? I never took money from my mom. I liked to be self-sufficient. I would hate to ask for twenty bucks if I wanted to go to the movies.

"Can't you swing something, Sally?" came a voice from behind me, a voice that sent shivers down my spine. "Show the new girl in town Providence hospitality."

Sally beamed a wide smile when she saw Shea come up behind me. "Oh, now Shea, you know I would help out if I could ..." Sally looked like she really didn't want to disappoint Shea.

"I would consider it a personal favour," Shea pressed.

A personal favour? I frowned. Exactly how much influence in this town did this eighteen-year-old kid have?

Sally seemed to concede. "Okay, then." She nodded. "Do you have any experience, Sara?"

I was still in the midst of my astonishment when I realised that Sally had directed that question at me. "Oh, yes," I confirmed. "I waitressed for two years at a restaurant back home in New York. I'm a hard worker and I always show up for my shifts." I glanced up at Shea beside me. "I didn't ask him to do this, either. I'm really sorry if this has put you on the spot."

Sally smiled. "If Shea vouches for you, honey, then that's good enough for me. I'll tell you what. Why don't you come in after school tomorrow for a trial shift and we'll see how we go. I can't promise you a lot of hours but the folks in this town are pretty good with their tips."