Chapter 16: Illicit

Start from the beginning

"Why would Nefarious want anything to do with you cold-blooded killers?" I growl.

Dmitri laughs at that.

"Why don't we go ask them?" he asks and begins to untie the ropes that bind my legs.

Dmitri throws something to Destrian and gestures for him to come forward. I glare at Destrian as he ties a black cloth around my eyes. I flinch as my ex-lover places a hand on my shoulder and wraps another around my waist. He lifts me to my feet gently and guides me up the steps. I hear the front door open and an earthy scent fills my nose.

I'm outside. I can tell by the sudden dry heat and crunch of gravel shifting beneath my feet. I hear the sound of a car being started and the gravel begins to shake slightly as we approach the humming vehicle.

"Where are we going?" I question as Destrian helps me into the car, then slides into the seat next to me.

"To visit Nefarious, as promised." Dmitri replies cockily from the front seat. 

I hear a window being rolled down and then something hit the pavement and shatter.

"What was that?" I ask.

"Your phone." Dmitri chuckles.

The urge to kick the back of his chair like a child crosses my mind. However, the Darminite bracelet courses throughout my body. I'm too fatigued to waste precious energy on something so incredibly useless.

"Jason." Destrian says softly from my right.

I don't respond, hoping he will leave me alone.

"My sister is very sick. All I wanted was your help. I didn't kn-" he continues, but I stop him.

"Don't talk to me right now."

Minutes pass by and I grow increasingly more nervous. The Darminite is beginning to take a toll on my body and I can feel it. I slump against the door just as a cold hand clasps around my shoulder.

"We're here." Destrian says gently.

He removes the blindfold from my eyes. I wince as light invades my senses. The door opens next to me and I would have fallen out if it wasn't for Destrian grabbing my arm. Dmitri pulls me out of the car and places me on my feet. Trees surround us and from where we stand I see no houses in sight. Suddenly I hear the rustling of trees and three enormous wolves stand in front of us in the shape of a triangle. 

Dmitri let's go of my shoulders and I sink to my knees, the effects of the Darminite are becoming more intense. Destrian helps me to my feet and wraps an arm around my waist to keep me standing. 

"Hello men." Dmitri greets and the wolves growl. "Care to switch so we can actually speak and settle things as adults?"

The wolf at the head of the triangle hesitates, before switching into his human form. He stands with his arms crossed. I can't quite place his age, but he seems no older than Hunter and Rhys. He's bulky and his hair is buzzed, reminding me of a soldier. 

"Why are you here again, Dmitri?" the man demands. 

The more I stare at him the more familiar he becomes, but I can't quite place why. 

"Tell your Alpha I've fulfilled my end of our agreement." Dmitri states and then gestures to me. "And I've brought a guest."

The man pauses a moment before turning and saying something to one of the wolves behind him. The other two still haven't switched. 

"Get rid of the Darminite and I'll have my men tell our Alpha of your presence." he commands.

Dmitri looks at me and then back to the buzz-cut werewolf.