Chapter 10

Michael knew that Kane had left to commence the second part of the plan they'd drafted together in the short time they'd gotten to see each other.

And as firmly instructed, Michael waited 2 days and sure enough, that day after his rehearsal Evander pulled him aside for a quick discussion.

"I'm going to be away for a couple days." He said briskly and without emotion as was usually the case with him. Michael tried his best to match his level of placid expression despite the fact that he felt both nervous about Evander being onto him and excited that Kane had actually managed to do as he had promised. "There are some things I need to take care of at home."

"Is everything alright?" Michael inquired with fake concern but wanted to poke to know the extent of Evander's knowledge.

"Yeah, seems some kids broke into the house or something, just need to go back and take stock of what's missing. It's nothing too bothersome anyway. While I'm away I wanted to let you know that I'll expect the same level of dedication to your well being that you've been exhibiting as of late. You've been making excellent progress. So much so that I would say you're almost ready to meet your soon to be money maker." He smiled with a certain degree of deadness behind his eyes. Michael swallowed thickly in place of telling Evander where to jump off with his patronising tone and took a bored glance in a different direction to evade the dissecting nature of his glare.

"Well I'll see you when you get back." Michael said lacking in any real compassion and tried his best not to sound as relieved as he felt but it was hard not to bleed through.

"Yes..." Evander said eyeing him. Michael felt a sick and he avoided meeting Evander's eyes like the plague.

"...I guess I'd better get changed..." Michael said putting all his focus into pulling at his sweat soaked shirt and quickly turned toward the dressing room.

"Oh and Michael." Evander called chillingly after him. "Best behaviour." Evander warned. Michael thought better than to respond and wordlessly entered his dressing room instead.

He exhaled a heavy sigh, shoulders heavy with the deep knowing that this was all soon to be over if the plan ran smoothly, also extremely aware that things could get a whole lot worse if Evander were to somehow find out what was going on.

The tight knot in his stomach remained long after he'd changed out of his clothing.

He said a short prayer before he was escorted back to the rehearsal house by his entourage.

In Evander's absence the place almost appeared welcoming unlike before, the only dark clouds in sight were the towering army of bodyguards attached to his back, now operating with full focus.

Evander must have briefed them, Michael thought.

He noticed how they trailed closely behind him as he went to get a glass of cold water from the kitchen. He sighed as a bulky figure appeared in view through the reflection of the window.

"You don't have to follow me now that I'm at home you know."

He had said nothing but remained jammed in the doorway, hands clasped in front, hovering in his vicinity like an undercover agent without the blindest bit of intelligence to make his snooping discreet.

Michael made a point of approaching the door and only then did the guard edge begrudgingly aside. He strode breezily across to the downstairs bathroom, closing the door firmly behind him and opened the cabinet.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door.

"I'm peeing! You want to watch me do that too? Honestly." He walked right over and locked the door audibly for them. "You people need a lesson on manners and respect." He returned to the cabinet and reached for the box of aspirin, inside was a snipping from a different type of medication altogether. The one that Kane had given him.