Chapter 3

Smoke dropped the black duffle bag onto the stained brown wooden table under the dim lampshade, causing dust to stir upwards around it.

"That's it."

Robinson leaned forward with inquisitive hands and pealed open the zip. Tens of thousands of dollars lay stuffed inside as promised.

"Nice." He said approvingly and snatched the bag off the table.

"I threw in a little extra." That made Robinson stop in his movements. "There something I want you to do for me." Smoke uttered beneath his low hood. Robinson leaned back, his dark skin blending into the darkness in the room yet his eyes remained wide and locked onto Smoke.

With some hesitance Smoke turned on his heel and disappeared through the door, returning seconds later with a large hound, it's leash wrapped twice around his hand. Jury drooled his way into the room and Robinson sprung out of his chair.

"Yo, no dogs! Hey man!" Robinson yelped. Smoke continued walking up to Robinson and held the chord out to him. Real fear was present in Robinson's eyes as he stood coiled up on top of his chair. "You have got to be kidding me man."

"I need you to take care of jury."

"Are you out of your mind? Do I look like some kind of pet sitter to you? You know I hate dogs."

"I know that's why I paid you extra."

"Look Smoke, I know every man his price but you can't pay me enough to do this!"

"Come on Neil you're the only one I can trust to not let him starve."

"Why cant you feed him? You planning on dying soon?" Robinson probed.

Smoke tied the chord to the table leg and pulled out the chair that was tucked under it. He flopped down into it and leaned forward clasping his hands together. His knee was bouncing of its own accord and he appeared restless.

"No...but I'm going to be away for a while."

"Away? Where? Smoke come on man, I've never seen you like this. You look jumpy. What's wrong?"

"I don't know I just....Just need to get my head straight."

"But we need you straight now Smoke. We're real fucking close to nailing Antonio. Did you forget about all the stuff you got lined up? You cant just pull out of a gig like that, you know these people don't play." Robinson shuffled around awkwardly on his chair trying to find a comfortable position above the ground. Jury barked at him and he whimpered springing up again.

"I know that. I know. And I'm still going to get Antonio, but after that...this might be it for a while...I have some stuff I need to sort out." Robinson raised an eyebrow.

"So Smoke's taking a vacation?" Robinson asked skeptically. "Damn. What happened man?"

"What did you know about the last guy they sent me out to?" Smoke boldly inquired ignoring the question.

"Who, that blue eyed dude? I don't know man. I think he been on their radar for some time."

"Why?"

"I don't know. Bottom line is, the big boys wanted him butchered. Now he's gone. Thanks to you."

Still that didn't sit well with Smoke. He sighed.

"Well, all the money is in there, I bought pet food with me. He needs feeding three times a day. Just let him out back if he wants to walk around. He'll come right back. He's a good dog." Smoke shook Jury's fur as Jury took in his surroundings, seeing nothing sufficient enough to chase after yet.