Chapter 8

For an entire week, Michael had avoided him. It seemed he'd completely lost all interest in speaking to Kane after their awkward ordeal in the bedroom. Kane felt unable to even apologize as he couldn't find a single set of words that sounded right in correctly conveying his remorse. What was he supposed to say?

Oh Michael, I'm so sorry I brushed my hard on against your butt?

It just wasn't going to cut it.

Michael had fallen into a funk. He'd become a complete recluse even by Michael's standards. Wherever Kane showed up to, Michael disappeared from. Whenever he tried to call out to him in the middle of the night to talk the way they always talked Michael always happened to be asleep.

Michael wouldn't let him near enough to even say good morning or goodnight. Kane was stuck at a loss for words and Michael's attitude grated on him day after day until finally his frustration developed into full blown anger. He'd followed Michael upstairs during another one of his disappearing acts and slammed the door of their room shut, sealing the both of them inside together.

"Are you going to actually open your mouth and say something to me or are you just going to run away from me for the rest of your life?" Kane snapped frustrated.

"Leave me alone Kane, I don't want to talk right now." Michael had made a job out of folding up his t-shirts that had been carelessly tossed in his dresser during one of his 'rebellious' episodes. He'd done it that same morning, once he'd realised Kane had woken up and was watching him putting his stuff away. By the time, Kane had sat up Michael had slammed the drawer and left the room.

Michael avoided Kane's eyes as he spoke.

"What Michael? What do you want me to say to make it better?" Kane skirted forward toward Michael. "I'm sorry okay? I'm sorry I hugged you, I know it wasn't cool." he stepped further toward Michael who quickly shuffled back from him.

"Don't come any closer." He jittered into the corner. Kane threw his guilty hands up like the predator Michael was treating him as and swung back from him.

"Alright, fine. I'll remember that line next time you're begging to come and sleep in my bed."

"Yes Kane, I wanted to sleep in the bed that's it. But you took it too far when you did that..." he said with a look of inner turmoil etched on his face. "Why did you have to do that Kane? Why?" Michael ranted. Kane couldn't help but feel all the blame of the situation being shovelled off onto him.

Surely, he hadn't made it up when Michael had been so openly teasing him that night, trying to get his attention. Or the initial fact that Michael had been so adamant about climbing into bed with him.

"Well excuse me, but I'm not the one who chose to climb into my bed. Twice. And do you really think I didn't see you pushing out your butt?" Michael's eyes grew wide with his accusation and his dark pupils darted briefly toward the door.

"I was sleeping Kane! That's just how I sleep!" Michael hissed in a hushed and frantic whisper.

"No its not, I've watched you sleep before. You don't do all that extra stuff. Giggling and teasing me! No Kane don't go! Oooh Kane I saw that, you've got asthma!" Kane mocked him in a high pitched squawk that sounded nothing like him. Michael looked guilty then as his eyes lowered with a certain air of sadness, his eyes glossing over.

"No I didn't. You must have misinterpreted what I said." Michael shook his head.

"Oh yeah? Did I misinterpret your head rolling back when you had my face burrowed in your neck too?" Kane snapped. Michael covered Kane's mouth instantly, pushing him down into the single armchair in the room.