7 × gift hunting

Start from the beginning

"What about here? There's a lot of places to eat here in the mall."

"You sure?" Eun Tae began tugging at her and then pushing her to the direction of the food court. "—all right, slow down! I know you're just as hungry as I am but—hey, my bag is still on the bench! Wait!"

They got along better choosing where to eat than they were on settling what gift to buy. They both decided on Thai food and now laid out on their table were plate upon plate of Thai dishes. They might as well have ordered the whole menu.

"Hey, don't look but there's a group of girls looking at you at your 3 o' clock." The collection of eyes were already on them even before they enter the mall. Chae Eun definitely noticed, because the looks that was directed at her was either envy or begrudge. Eun Tae didn't seem to notice the attention he's getting, though.

"What?"

Chae Eun almost smack the idiot when he looked down at his watch. "No! On the left."

He almost twisted himself trying to turn around. "My left or yours?"

"Your left! I said your 3 o' clock. Oh my god, you know what, forget about it. Let's eat."

Eun Tae picked up his utensils and was about to dig in when Chae Eun interrupted him. "Aren't you going to remove your jacket?"

Right, he was wearing one. Can't have it staining from the food. Jay picked this out for him and he actually liked the jacket.  But he needed it to complete the outfit—he was only wearing a shirt underneath and it was pretty chilly inside the restaurant. He decided to keep it on. "I'll just roll the sleeves up."

"Let me," Chae Eun beckoned for his arms. When the first sleeve was up, she noticed the girls from the other table shift their gaze away. And with the other, they started murmuring to themselves. Chae Eun held on to one arm of Eun Tae as she looked down at his tattoo sleeves. One minute you were gawking and the next your avoiding his eyes as if he might attack you at any second. What a bullshit prejudice. She'll have everyone know that this best friend of hers was not only the softest person she knows but also the most kind.

She was getting annoyed as she watched from the corner of her eye the girls still whispering when she felt a hand squeeze softly at hers and Eun Tae beaming at her. "Thanks, Chae Eun. Let's dig in!"

It was well into the afternoon and the pair still haven't had any luck finding a gift. Eun Tae was being ridiculous at this point and Chae Eun was itching to strangle him.

"How about I buy you a brick and just hit you with it?" She deadpanned.

"That wouldn't be very nice."

It appears that Chae Eun still haven't caught on with his best friend's true intention with this weekend out. Eun Tae couldn't care less about some gift—he wasn't a materialistic person, Chae Eun should've realized that from the start. The real reason that Eun Tae asked her out was just to hang out. That was it, plain and simple.

The drifting apart was subtle at first but he soon noticed it. Ever since her family married into the Jeongs, Chae Eun was becoming more reluctant to go and hang out. She was, in a way, a bit of a lone wolf but she makes time for her friends, most especially Eun Tae and Jace. It was getting hard to invite her out nowadays and if by some miracle she's out of the house, she'll be by herself. It's like she's teaching herself to be alone—but she hasn't been alone since middle school because Eun Tae and Jace saw to it—and the guys were getting worried about that.

"Want to go watch a movie?" asked Eun Tae. "You can rest your feet for a while."

"Eh? So you're saying the day doesn't end with the movie? That my feet is going to be one callous mess by the end of the evening?" She was being dramatic, Chae Eun knew that. Eun Tae shrugged vaguely and she rolled her eyes. "All right, fine. But I'm picking the movie. What's even showing these days?"

It was dark when they exited the cinema. Chae Eun's feet were well rested and Eun Tae was thinking of where to drag her next. It's like he forgot that a day has to end in some way.

"Maybe I should start watching indie movies now 'cause that one was great." said Chae Eun. "Don't you think so?"

She was really focused on the movie that she didn't notice Eun Tae slept on the majority of it. He decided to lie. "Yeah, it's great."

"It's seven," She was looking down her watch. "I guess it's still early. Pick up where we left off with the gift?"

Eun Tae was about to agree when his phone started ringing in his pocket. He pulled it out and read the caller ID. It was Daniel. Well, little Daniel, it says so on his screen. "I'm just going to answer to this," He held his ringing phone to Chae Eun and then answered the call. "Hey."

"Uhh... are you around the area, Vasco?"

Daniel sounded troubled. "What's up? Is something wrong?"

"It's just—some guys are making a ruckus outside of the store. And I think it's just a matter of time before they come in here." And with a shaky breath, Daniel added. "I'm actually hiding under the counter."

"All right, I'm coming. Stay there and don't let them in." He hang up the call. Daniel sounded scared. There was a small panic settling in Eun Tae.

"What's going on?" There was a shift in Eun Tae that she knows all too well. He looked ready to bolt and Chae Eun grabbed at his arm to calm him down. "Easy, easy. Someone's in trouble. Who is it?"

"It's Daniel."

"Daniel? Fashion department Daniel?"

"No, no, it's a different guy. It's—" Eun Tae felt bad ending their day together on this note. "Would you be able to get home by yourself? I'm really sorry I can't take you home. This friend of mine just—"

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm coming with you." She stood her ground, resolve already hardened. "Where is this guy anyway?"

Eun Tae knew better than to protest. "It's a 10, maybe 7 minute walk from here."

"Then let's run and get there in 5 minutes."

When they reached the convenience store, there was not a soul outside. Eun Tae already thought of the worst and dashed inside. "Daniel!"

Chae Eun was out of breath and was a second too late pulling him back. "Hey, don't—" Groaning, she followed him inside.

Daniel was standing behind the counter, looking shaken. He felt stupid calling Vasco. A minute or two after he made the call, those guys outside cleared out. Panic got the best of him and now he got a fired up Vasco in front of him.

"Where are they? Are they hiding? Did they left? Are you hurt?"

"—Eun Tae, you idiot! Don't come rushing in!" A girl had entered the store and smacked the back of Vasco's head. Daniel looked on, perplexed. She then turned to him and exclaimed. "Hey, it's you!"

Daniel bit back his tongue as he was about to say Chae Eun's name out loud. They didn't exchange names last time they meet in this form, Daniel had been reminding himself, and so with the sudden brake, he made a strange noise that sounded like a whimper.

Chae Eun looked around and realized this was the same convenience store. She didn't even notice at first.

"You two know each other?" The adrenaline rush was subsiding and Eun Tae was now confused.

"Well, I should be asking that question too." Her gaze drifted from the cashier to her best friend. "Huh. Small world."