Targets, trips, talks and tests

Start from the beginning

"Rose? Did either of you sleep last night?" Yuri continued pressing. The answer to that was 'no, not really'.

"Guys! Seriously. We're discussing love lives here. Mine and Dimitri's, does that not freak you out?"

"You two are too adorable." Emil retorted.

"Un-believable!"

"He has hasn't he? He has taken you."

"Yuri! Not funny."

"No. It's not funny Hathaway. It's hilarious." Emil laughed. "I never thought The Rose Hathaway would be so private."

"Hey! I've always been private." I snapped back.

"He's rubbed off on you, clearly." I groaned in discomfort at Yuri's comment.

"You two are worse than Mason and Eddie right now."

"At least we know the pain of a kill. The seriousness of guarding. We're simply happy that you've gotten Belikov out of that self-imposed solitary jail cell. You make him happy." Yuri sobered.

"I do not! I scared the shit out of him." They just stared. "What?! It's true. I scare him."

"Belikov's scared of his seventeen year old student-turned-lover?" 'Of his seventeen year old student-turned-fiancé' I mentally corrected.

"Of his seventeen year old soulmate. He's scared of my ability to read him like an open book. It works in reverse, I'm scared of how he does that to me too. It's not a 'don't hide' it's a 'can't hide'."

The rest of the drive passed in silence and we were in Spokane before we knew it. Time to hunt for Strigoi in a shopping mall, again. We combed through every inch of the mall twice and were on our third comb through before we found a Strigoi. I sensed it coming and had it down within a few minutes. "Thanks for the help," I muttered when I noticed the two guys had done nothing.

"You didn't need us. Except to keep an eye out for others," Yuri replied.

"And I needed a seventeenth kill when I'm still seventeen?" I retorted through clenched teeth.

"Rose, let's keep moving. We've got the evidence from here already. We finish this sweep then head to that house."

"Okay."

An hour later and we had no other issues. So, we left to find the house the threat had told us, well me, to be. We found it ten minutes later. We did our first sweep and came up with nothing. Five minutes later, on our second sweep, we turned up an Ancient. An Ancient who wanted me dead. No question about it. It took all I had to take him down. And I had to do it myself because the guys had to get a few captives out, as well as having to deal with the human assistants. The other two did what was needed for clean up and we headed home, sorta, we headed back to the ski lodge.

"Rose?" Alberta asked as I entered into her makeshift office.

"Yes Alberta?"

"Sit. You're getting marked before you return to him."

"Is he that pissed?"

"He's pissed that I let you out. Not that you went."

"He doesn't yet know that I was directly targeted?"

"No."

"Good."

"You okay? You l-"

"Look like I walked into an Ancient's lair? Yes. I was targeted by one." I shrugged my shoulders and winced. Damn Ancients! This time I'd been clawed in-between the shoulder-blades, in the stomach and on the forearms, and bitten on both wrists and left upper arm. I bloody hurt like hell. I'd been cleaned-up and changed my outfit but it clearly showed.