Christmas changes and a ski trip starts

RPOV

"Rose?" Dimitri asked when I entered Tasha's Christmas lunch gathering eight days later.

"Hey comrade! Happy Holidays!"

"Straight back at you Rose." He smiled and I forgot how to breathe.

"Comrade!" I growled, though it was playful, teasing and slightly lustful.

"Come over here, you." Had we just forgotten where we were? Because I heard those same light feelings reflected. And I acted without thinking, ending up millimetres from him.

"Hey." I grinned, and consciously, though reluctantly, took a step back.

"Rose? Why's your hair up?" My answer simply came in the form of turning my back to him, so he could see the healed tattoos. All sixteen. It was only up now so he could see. No one else knew my count, thank god, they didn't even know I had kills.

"Your present. Sorta." I pulled my hair out as I turned back to face him.

"Rose?"

"Later. Lissa calls."

"Later Rose." I turned to my loved-up best friend. Who knew nothing of my non-existent sex, yet active love, life. She was trying to get Mase and I together.

"Hey Liss. Happy Holi- oh no! Oh no you didn't! Lissa! What did I tell you, I don't need a boyfriend to complete high school." She'd snuck Mase in. And it made me mad.

"Ros-" Mase started.

"I don't want to hear it Ashford. I can't believe you let her meddle, it's my life. In particular my love, and sex, life. It doesn't need to be active for me to complete high school."

"Yeah right! Since when were you happy to remain celibate?"

"Since there's only months until someone's life and death in my hands. You don't seem to get it. Then again, why should you? You're behind wards, you're safe. Then again, not even wards are infallible. You haven't been within seconds of dying, again. You haven't been out in the world. You don't get it. And you likely won't until after you're dead. I don't need an active love, or sex, life to complete high school, or to cloud my vision of who comes first."

"Rose? Rose? Rose!" Dimitri's calm and firm voice pulled me from my frantic state.

"Comrade?" I turned to see love, and concern in his eyes. He wasn't hurt by my words, because he knew none of it was aimed at him.

"You weren't about to ruin Christmas lunch were you?" He asked with a strong trace of humour coming through, concern was also evident- but only to me.

"No. I wasn't. These loveable fools were." I jerked my head towards Mase and Lissa.

"Us?!" They both screeched.

"Yes. You. Both. Meddlers."

DPOV

"No. Tasha. Absolutely not." Apparently Lissa and Mason weren't the only love, and sex, life meddlers in the room. "It's wrong. I can't and won't take that offer." I was thoroughly repulsed by her offer.

"But Dimka..." she whined.

"No. That's my final answer. And nothing's changing my mind." She glared at me.

"Comrade?"

"Rose?"

"Here." She handed me a card, and when I opened it I fought to keep my face straight. Now that was an offer I couldn't refuse. 'Meet me in the gym at midnight. IOU TBD. Roza'.