Chapter 4: Peace of Mind

Depuis le début

"Nuh-uh! One wrong move and I will do it

"Nuh-uh! One wrong move and I will do it." He pressed the blade into his skin, allowing a thin line of blood to appear. I fell to my knees, unable to move anymore.
"No, g-god please! Don't do it! Please spare him!!" I lowered my head to the floor with a traditional bow and began crying my eyes out. I begged and begged for Changbin to be released. I didn't want to suffer anymore. It wasn't fair. It wasn't.... fucking fair.

I heard retreating footsteps. It sounded like he was walking away, but I didn't dare look. I waited until he came back. While he was gone, I felt around my jacket pockets. I was looking for something. I slipped a hand in one of them and felt my fingers touch something. The corners of my lips turned upwards as I realized what that was.
Pretty soon, he was walking back but the muffled sound from before was back and it sounded louder. This was also followed by something being dragged as well. I lifted my head to see what it was. "I can give you back your friend, but what about her? A life for a life. Seems fair, right? You return the stone back to my homeland and I'll only kill one of them."

My eyes lit up in terror when I saw who he was holding.
"NO!" I ran over to him to try and grab her. "LIERA!!" I scream. Changbin kicked me away again and I collide with the floor once more. But that was not about to stop me.
"Let her go!" I got back up to my feet again. My eyes hurt, my body was broken, but I was not going down without a fight.

"Don't be so foolish." The spirit spoke as he used Changbin as the host. He yanked Liera up and held the knife up to her throat instead of his.
"I can kill her, too. Right now. It's up to you to make the choice. This boy or your lover."

"Why are you doing this?" I sob.

Changbin tilted his head.
"Why, you ask?"
I nodded my head, inching my way closer to him.
"Yes, you're a Shaman, right? You lived in Serbia thousands of years ago. Is that correct?"
He narrowed his eyes at me, while still keeping a firm hand on the blade.
"How did you know that?"
I took a deep breath and gave him a soft smile.
"I've been studying your people for a long time. It's been one of my past times. Ever since I heard about that necklace, I wanted to learn about it. I understand you are mad, but Shamans don't hurt people. They are supposed to help."

"SHUT UP! YOU KNOW NOTHING!" The spirit lost it and pushed the blade deeper into Liera's throat. She cried out for me as tears slid down her face. She couldn't speak due to a piece of cloth wrapped around her mouth.
"Please, stop! Don't hurt her. L-look, I know you are angry. You must be mad about something that happened to you in the past. Am I correct?" I ask calmly. I had to keep a cool head. Perhaps I could talk the spirit down into releasing both Changbin and Liera.

I just need to figure out how.

The more I spoke to him, the more he lowered the blade. He looked at the floor and then over at me.
"Yes... I do remember now. My family was MURDERED!" He snarled out, yanking Liera's head back by her hair and lifted the blade to her neck once more. I immediately lost all of the progress I had. Liera sobbed and whimpered out. She cried out my name. All I wanted to do was hold her in my arms.