Chapter 13 - Night of the Hawk

3rd Person POV

The waverider stabilizes in a new time.

Brooklyn rips off her harness, runs to the nearest trash can in the corner and throws up.

"Ugh, why am I still not used to that?" Brooklyn asks.

"I'm not the only one whose vision is blurry in their left eye, am I?" Stein asks.

"Seeing three of everything? That's normal, right?" Jax asks.

"Yes, as I mentioned before, the effect of time travel on the human body increases with the length of each jaunt." Rip explains.

"So where are we?" Kendra asks.

"Harmony Falls, Oregon." Rip says. "According to Captain Baxter's intel, Savage makes an appearance in this quaint little hamlet."

"What the hell is Savage doing in Pleasantville?" Jax asks.

Brooklyn wipes her bottom lip before joining the others.

A newspaper article pops up.

"Murder, apparently." Rip says. "Several denizens of Harmony Falls have been brutally slain, and others have gone missing."

"Huh. Kind of like Rory." Jax says, looking at Snart.

"Reports are vague, but it seems like the killer is an expert with knives." Rip says.

"That sounds like Savage's MO." Sara says.

"Yeah, but serial killing isn't." Snart says. "Sounds pretty small-time for a guy who's had coffee with Hitler."

"Yeah, well, clearly we have to assume that Savage has a larger, more nefarious plan. But since we've jumped back in time, Savage isn't expecting us here." Rip says.

"Savage is pretty good at hiding, even in a small town, so how do you plan to find him?" Kendra asks.

"By investigating these murders." Rip says. "Now, there has to be a common link between the victims, starting with the first. A piano teacher was found slain in her home, which is now on the market ...Dr. Matt Miller was found murdered on the grounds of the asylum where he worked. The sanitarium is in need of a replacement ...Meanwhile, Jefferson and Brooklyn are the perfect ages to discern the facts behind the disappearance of three teenagers who went missing a week before these murders began."
"So Raymond and Kendra are shacking up, Sara's Nurse Ratched, and Brooklyn and Jax are the new kids in town." Snart sums up. "Where does that leave me?"

"You'll see." Rip says.

***

Jax and Brooklyn sit on the same side of the booth, Brooklyn closer to the window and Jax near the isle. Sara and Stein sit on the other side. Brooklyn has a light pink dress on and her hair up in a ponytail with a pink ribbon, like most of the girls in the diner.

"Schwinn Hornets." Stein says as they finish up eating in the diner. "I had the very same one when I was their age. Seeing white picket fences and perfect family houses, it's enough to make one nostalgic."

"Or nauseated." Sara says.

"Oh, come on, Ms. Lance." Stein says. "Even someone as jaded as yourself can't deny how idyllic this time was."

"Yeah. If you're white." Jax says.

"And a man." Brooklyn pitches in.

"And straight." Sara says. "And--"

"Okay, okay. I get the point." Stein says.

"Dude, even if this town wasn't full of small-minded idiots, it'd still be creepy as hell." Jax says. "I used to watch all these old horror movies with my mom, and they all started off in places like this. See, first it's all perfect, and then, boom, some alien monster beast thing starts killing kids on Lovers' Lane."