Chapter 6 - White Knights

Brooklyn walks through the hallways and eventually finds Sara.

"Rip said I have to help you do whatever you're gonna do with Kendra." Brooklyn says.

"Alright, right this way." Sara says.

The two walk into the cargo bay.

Sara grabs one of her sparring staffs and tosses it.

"Heads-up." Sara calls and Kendra turns around and catches the staff.

"What the hell is this?" Kendra asks.

"Warriors train every day." Sara says.

"Sorry, but I'm not in the mood." Kendra tells her.

"'Sorry' is not gonna help that guard that you defaced at the Pentagon." Sara says.

"Two months ago, I was a barista." Kendra says, standing up. "I had no idea I had some psycho hawk goddess inside of me, and then I meet Carter, and he convinces me to let her out, and now that he's gone... I can't control it, so thanks for the offer, but I won't risk letting that monster out again."

"That monster inside you is not gonna go away." Sara says. "You have to learn how to control her."

"And how, exactly, do you expect me to do that?" Kendra asks.

"Let's find out." Sara says, tossing Kendra the staff again.

The two start sparing.

Brooklyn stands by, ready with another staff.

"Brooklyn, switch!" Sara calls and Brooklyn jumps in her place to spar against Kendra.

Brooklyn and Kendra spar for a few seconds as Sara watches.

"Come on, Brooklyn, strong hands, tighter hits." Sara coaches Brooklyn. Brooklyn and Kendra hit staffs a few times. "Footwork, Brooklyn!" A few more seconds pass. "Alright, switch!"

Sara jumps back in the place of Brooklyn and Brooklyn jumps out. The two girls switch without even missing a beat, just like old times.

Kendra and Sara spar a little before Kendra gets thrown to the floor.

"Are we done here yet?" Kendra asks, slowly getting up.

"If you want to harness your power, you need to learn to control your fear." Sara says.

"Yeah, well, you've been training for half your life to be some cold-blooded assassin, so I really don't think you understand what it's like." Kendra says.

"Before you can control it, you have to accept that it's part of you." Sara says while hitting Kendra with hand to hand combat.

Sara kicks Kendra and she is knocked into the wall.

"Sara." Brooklyn says, watching.

"Ease up, will you?" Kendra pleads.

"You've got to channel your anger." Sara says. Sara starts hitting her again.

"Sara, stop." Kendra pleads in a choke hold.

"Push down your emotions." Sara says, hitting her again. "Focus on your opponent." She kicks her, throwing her into the back wall.

Kendra's wings spread out.

"Uh oh." Brooklyn says.

"Kendra?" Sara asks.

Kendra goes at Sara and throws punches and then kicks her into the wall.

"Sara!" Kendra exclaims, snapping out of it. She runs over to Sara on the ground. "Sara, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry... " Sara grabs Kendra in a choke hold.

Kendra gasps for air. Brooklyn grabs her bow and nocks an arrow, aiming at Sara.

"Brooklyn--help--" Kendra gasps.

"I can't..." Brooklyn whispers, dropping her hands to her sides.

"Sara, what are you doing? It's me!" Kendra pleads.

Then, something clicks in Sara's mind and she realizes what she's done. Sara nervously gets up and then runs away without a word.

"What the...hell was that?" Kendra asks, gasping and holding her neck.

"Uh...um...her monster inside her." Brooklyn says. "I...I have to go check on her." She breathes and then runs away.

Brooklyn runs into the cargo bay to see Sara sharpening her knives.

"Oh lord." Brooklyn mutters.

"What do you want, Brooklyn?" Sara asks.

"To know." Brooklyn says. "Your bloodlust...that's your monster. Well, you remember my monster...and you also remember that I couldn't even attempt to overcome it without the help of...of you guys, my...my fami--friends, my friends. I still have a long way to go, but you gotta at least try, right? That's what you taught me, right? That trying is half the battle."

Sara continues to sharper her knives.

"It's different with me." Sara says.

"How?" Brooklyn asks.

"Your monster is drugs." Sara says. "Yours is something physical in the world. Mine is inside me, within me."

"And both are equally hard." Brooklyn says. "But if you at least try to overcome it, it might get better."

"Why don't you take that advice for yourself?" Sara asks.

"Huh?" Brooklyn asks.

"Things will get better, Brooklyn." Sara says.

"I guess we both need to start believing that." Brooklyn says.

"Yeah." Sara whispers.

Brooklyn walks out and she passes Kendra her way to talk to Sara.

"Do you need backup?" Brooklyn asks.

"Hopefully not, just stay close by?" Kendra asks.

"Okay." Brooklyn says.

Kendra walks into the cargo bay to talk with Sara. It seemed to go well because Brooklyn didn't need to pull her bow out, which was promising.

***

"A thermal core?" Kendra asks on the bridge after her, Sara, and Brooklyn had been briefed on what was going on.

"Let me get this straight. You had Kendra, Brooklyn and I training for the next mission, when we should have been out there helping them." Sara says.

"We will help them, and our next mission is to get our compatriots back from Vostok." Rip says.

"Who is to say they're not already dead?" Kendra asks.

"Vostok needs the professor alive in order to rebuild the thermal core." Rip says.

"And Ray and Rory?" Jax asks.

"Savage will keep them alive too." Rip explains.

"As leverage." Sara says. "He'll torture them if Stein tries to hold out."

"Well, we'll have to pray that he does. If Savage's goal is to create his own Firestorm, then Stein himself is the key, the missing piece of the puzzle." Rip says. "And if Vostok figures out how to turn Stein's powers against us, then... I'm afraid the world is beyond saving."

"Stein's a lot tougher than he looks." Jax says. "I mean, it will take a lot to break him."

"That's the good news." Rip says. "The bad news is that our compatriots are being held in an impenetrable Soviet gulag."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you guys liked that chapter!!

Don't forget to vote and comment!!

Next chapter up NEXT FRIDAY 

-MC