47

47
<--->

as much as hyunjin didn't want to see her, something inside of him kicked in and told himself to let maci tell him what she wanted to say to him. avoiding her eyes as he glanced away for a brief moment, he bit his bottom lip in awe.

"what do you need to say?" hyunjin muttered out. he wasn't stable now as he felt like his heart was breaking even more.

maci could feel the exhaustion in his tone and how sad he sounded that it painfully struck her heart to tell him. she took in a shaky breath, pretending to be strong and brave.

"it would be better if we sat down for me to continue, but i'll just say it here and now before it's too late for me to change my mind," maci started. "when we started to date, do you remember how upset you were when you and areum weren't talking? i took advantage of you and came to comfort you. the only reason i dated you was for my selfish needs, and now that i'm looking back, i think i was really stupid for thinking of playing around with your feelings."

hyunjin narrowed his eyes, turning back to her with disappointment. maci let out a small chuckle, finding it hard for her to look away from him.

"it's not the first time someone has given me those eyes," maci muttered under her breath. then she continued on. "a few days into our relationship, your friends already hated me because they knew who i was, but you were different. you even thought differently of me, giving me a chance to prove myself that i wasn't the person who they thought i was. but hyunjin, you were wrong. i am selfish, i am bratty, i am all those truths your friends think. i even think i am that way as well, but that didn't stop me from doing whatever i wanted. i ignored those words and pretended as if they didn't hurt me because after i loss him, everything was numb."

"he was my very first love, my everything, as cheesy as that may sound. he gave me hope that there was something better in life than me thinking that i was better off as dead. my father, i didn't want you to meet him because he's not a kind person. he controls my life, and i let him because i felt the need of protection from him. but that's what i'm also sorry about. when your friend, seungmin, told me to break up with you, i didn't want to. why? well, i liked the idea of having you by my side. i thought you could understand me better than everyone else that i liked you for staying by my side, but-"

"-but what?" hyunjin snapped, feeling hurt. "playing with my feelings was fun to you? did you get a taste of satisfaction when you had me wrapped around your finger? i was so dumb for ever thinking that you were different."

maci pursed her lips, trying not to look displeased or hurt with what he said. "but i realized that we couldn't be together because of how different we are. hyunjin, you deserved better. that's why i broke things off with you at my birthday party. there was no way for you to understand that we couldn't be together, so seungmin, areum, and i planned a way to stop your feelings for me."

hyunjin's eyes widened in surprise. his two friends? what did they do? "are you making this up? seungmin and areum would never do anything to get in the way of my relationship."

maci smiled sadly. "it's hard to believe, i know, but hyunjin, you have to face it how your friends were willing to do anything to save you from heartbreak. it wasn't their fault that they wanted to help you find out your real feelings toward me."

everything maci was telling him slowly sunk into his mind. his two friends who he cherished the most. seungmin and areum. they did everything they could to stop his feelings for maci? it sounded foolish to him, and he couldn't help but feel betrayed and strange.

they didn't trust him. they didn't think he could do well when he was in a relationship. they had to look out for him when he could do it himself. feeling anger rise in him, hyunjin shut his eyes tightly and heaved in a sigh. his hands rubbed his face in disbelief as he tried hard to hold back his anger. if he did something while he was furious, he would never forgive himself.