“But I will,” he began, taking a few steps away so I could finally breathe again. “I will tell you what I want from you. But first, let me tell you a little about myself.”

I snorted at the irony of it all, but Darius didn’t like that. His twisted grin fell and stared at me while his eyes rapidly darted across my body.

“My parents are dead,” he spat, the contorted element absent from his voice as he leaned into my face. “They’re dead and I’m insane and it’s your fucking fault so shut your mouth before I cut you open so painfully slowly that you’ll beg me to put a bullet in your brain.”

He stared at me narrow-eyed with his chest heaving for a few seconds while both us recovered from our heightened heartbeats. He blew out a breath of air, making my skin crawl, before he pulled away from me. It didn’t seem like he was going to continue speaking, and Mason was potential seconds away from being slaughtered, while my boyfriend refused to make any indication that he actually was my boyfriend, so I spoke up hoping to move the process along.

“I’m sorry for your loss,” I said slowly, my eyes flashing to Damien regarding the mention of the parents I didn’t know he ever had. “But how does this have anything to do with me?”

“It has everything to do with you,” he said, surprisingly calm. “It started with you, now it will end with you.”

I glanced at Damien yet again for any hint that he knew what the fuck was going on, or if he was going to swoop in and save me from his mentally incompetent brother, or if he even cared about me at all.

His bored stare told me I was right about at least one thing.

“Sam, did you love your family?” Darius asked me, his head tilted to the right.

A pain in my chest arose at the word “did.”

“Do. I do love my family,” I told him firmly.

“Well aren’t they all dead?” he asked with a stupid smile that made my blood boil.

“Yes,” I seethed. “but just because they’re dead, doesn’t mean I stopped loving them.”

The question forced my mind to flash back to images of my life in California. My forged relationship with my dad. How we was never around due to his busy life as a beta. My mother’s tired but loving eyes as she read me to sleep at night. The image of her sitting alone at my middle school graduation. Her face as she said goodbye before the disease finally took the last of her life. Getting the news my father had been kidnapped and killed by rogues. Living with Dallas’ family. Being alone and heartbroken at 17 years old.

I didn’t have the easiest childhood, but I was taught to love and be loved and to let nothing come between me and my dreams. So I kept on. I knew my parents loved me, and I them. And even after their death, I wasn’t alone. I had my boys. My pack. My uncle. And now I had Damien.

Or at least that was what he made me believe.

“I did,” Darius said forcefully, startling me out of my memories. “I stopped loving my good-for-nothing father once he died. Your little Romeo killed our mother when he was born, leaving our father to take care of us alone.”

My eyes darted to Damien for what felt like the 100th time in the last minute. How come he never told me? Why did he tell me he was completely familyless when he clearly had two dead parents and a PSHYCOTIC brother on the loose?

“And he did a great job. He was the best dad two half-demons could have asked for. He was a human taking care of hell-raising children and we loved him unconditionally. But then… then he fucked us over, little wolf. He made a mistake,” Darius took a step forward, slowly beginning to circle around me. “He made a big mistake. He put his trust in the wrong person, Sammy. This person told him he could turn my fathers twenty thousand dollars into twenty million dollars. So foolishly, my father agreed. But he didn’t know a crappy businessman from a crappy businessman with a set of canines that could rip out his intestines in 3 seconds flat. So when this person turned dad’s 20,000 into absolutely nothing, we hired a lawyer. And when the lawyer turned up dead 24 hours later, I stopped loving my father.”