Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Sam

I turned back to the classroom door so fast I got whiplash.

"Sam, wait!"

He grabbed my wrist as I idled in front of the entrance, my hand hovering over the doorknob. I shuddered at the feel of his white-hot grip on my arm and it took everything in me not to let out a moan of familiar pleasure.

Instead, I took a deep breath and counted to five.

1... Damien doesn't like you anymore.

2...He left you.

3... He doesn't care about you anymore.

4...He never did.

5...Don't give him what he wants.

With that final thought, I forced my eyes open and turned back to face him, trying my hardest to seem unaffected by his presence. I commanded my body to relax, the anger to reside, and my desires to become dormant.

"What's up, Dame?" I asked with as much casualty I could muster.

Judging by his facial expression, it worked.

His eyebrows were knitted together, his eyes darting around my face seemingly looking for an answer. His bottom lip fell open as he emit a quiet gasp that he quickly tried to cover up with a cough.

I leaned back against the door lazily waiting for him to continue. And he did, the signature sneer on his face had disappeared and was now replaced with a nervous one. He rolled his lip between his teeth and his heart rate jumped-only slightly, but for Damien any change had me doing a double take.

"I..I..you..just..." he stammered, completely getting lost in his words.

Now I was the one smirking.

Damien never was at a loss for what to say, and I mean it when I say never. He was witty with a sharp tongue that could make your head spin. He was incredibly cultured and so wickedly smart that it almost made you embarrassed to have a conversation with him. So when Damien started...stuttering? It was the best moment of my broken hearted life.

"Spit it out dude," I added to the sound of his incoherent mumbling, trying my hardest to sound like a bro and not a resentful pissed off ex. I even threw in a nice hearty fake chuckle.

Don't give him what he wants.

He wants you angry and upset, not charming and friendly.

You can do this.

Damien was utterly bewildered. He had stopped muttering by now, but his mouth still gaped open and closed like he was looking for the right words. Finally, he drew his mouth into a straight line, seemingly fed up with himself and settled on:

"How are you, Sam?"

I snorted before I could stop myself. At the sound of my amusement, Damien's lips curved into a shy smile that basically drove a knife into my already bruised heart. It was the first time Damien looked so innocently and susceptible-- like he couldn't choke a person out in three seconds.

I couldn't help the small smile that tugged on my lips at the thought that danced in my mind: he's showing me his vulnerable side.

You're over him, Sam!

"I'm just fine."

He nodded in response, still slightly dumbfounded. I considered that a victory. So I turned to go, anxious to return to my desk where I didn't have to ignore my body pleading for a piece of Mr. Rush.