Chapter 5: First Practice

When I showed up at school a couple of days after soccer try-outs they posted who made the team. The coach pulled me aside and told me I was going to be on the team. We also got sent an email because practice starts today after school.  

"You excited for practice after school?" Asked Brooke, one of Saige's posse girls. 

"Yeah, I hope they pick you for team captain," I said to Mia.

"Ha, funny. You think you'll become the team captain." Saige overheard. "Please, unless you get voted you ain't taking over my spot on the team."

"Oh please, after what happened last year, I don't think the coach will want you to be captain." Said Mia.

"Come on girls, I have to go to class." Just like that, all three girls walked down the hallway liked they owned the whole highschool.

"She makes me so mad, I want to knock her straight," I said as I clenched my fists.

"Just calm down. She isn't that bad, and besides, once you become the team captain you'll show her the true boss of this place." Mia said as we walked to our next classes. 

Walking to my locker I was thinking about Zac. The last couple of days he has been sitting next to me and I have gotten to know him better. I learned that he moved from Arizona when he was 3 years old. I also got to talk to him about some of the sports here. We talked a lot about football and he even gave me his number. I texted him when I got to school and told him I made the soccer team but he hasn't replied. 

When I got to the classroom he was sitting where we have been sitting but Saige was sitting in my seat. 

"Great, she switched classes." I thought. I used all the urge I had and walked over to the table and sat on the edge of the desk next to the one where Zac was.

"Since when is she in our class?" Saige ruled.

"I understand you think your so pretty Saige but you may need to check your memory because I was in this class first and you just happen to be in here, in my seat," I almost yelled.

"I don't want to argue with you Ava, please just understand this is where I sit now." She said.

Zac looked at me and mouthed sorry. I mouthed back it's fine. With a fake smile and he turned and talked until Mrs, Conner started our block off with a pop quiz.

When lunch finally came around I walked to my locker. Then when I thought the hallway was empty I closed my locker and turned around right into Zac.

"Gezzz, don't do that. I get scared very easily." I said.

He looked worried as if he didn't do it intentionally.  I bit my bottom lip and he looked at me in.

"I am so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you like that." He apologized. 

"It's fine just next time give me a heads up before you walk behind me. What are you doing down here anyway? You're supposed to be at lunch." I demanded.

"I wanted to ask if you want to come to my house to study for the test on Friday in Social Studies. I am not very good with presidents." He said.

"Sure, I'll follow you in my car if you want," I said.

"You can leave your car here and then drop you off here to get your car to drive home." He suggested.

"Sure, it's way easier," I said as we turned the corner where the lunchroom is. 

"Want to sit with us." He said.

"I don't know. I don't want to leave Mia by herself." 

"You can bring her too. Just please sit with us," He begged.