Chapter 22; A Fake Death

(Told from Loki's point of view)

After a while, Hermione and Ron showed up. Neither of them paid any attention to me, and I didn't really care. By now I was just reciting incantations inside my head while looking intently at my wand.

"Hello Loki."

I looked up, expecting to see Harry or maybe one of the Weasley's, but it wasn't. It was a familiar looking blond haired boy who I loved dearly.

"Thor." I breathe happily. "Why are you here?"

"Well obviously the school sent a letter telling us you were in the Triwizard Tournament. Nobody knew what it was and nobody really cared either, but I received wind that today is the final task and I came to wish you good luck."

"Oh, well then." I chuckle. "I guess you came just in time. It'll be starting in a few hours. I suppose I could, well, give you a tour or something. Hogwarts is nothing like Asgard, but it's impressive, for a Midgardian place anyways."

"They're not really Midgardians though, are they?" Thor asked, holding out a hand to help me up. "They're wizards. They're not the same, am I correct?"

"Not particularly." I lead him out of the chamber off the hall. "When did you get here? And how?"

"The Bifrost."

"Obviously." I roll my eyes. "Where'd you summon it?"

He gestured vaguely to the outside. "In that forest near the grounds. Near the edge. It wasn't that dark."

I couldn't help but notice that he seemed more mature, and his voice was much deeper. "Did—"

"No, nobody saw me. Unlike you two years ago—"

"Yeah yeah." I chuckle.

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed talking to him. We had a nice stroll about the castle, and we ate dinner together, before it was time to part ways. I was no longer feeling depressed. Now I had a thought in the back of my mind that told me someone would care if I didn't make out of that maze alive.

After the feast, I went down to the Quidditch pitch with the other champions. The hedges were now at least 20 feet high. All the champions congregated in the gap where the entrance of the maze was placed.

McGonagall explained to us that if we got into any trouble, we should simply send up red sparks into the air and one of the teachers would retrieve us. We all nodded and the patrolling teachers walked away. Bagman magnified his voice and announced to the audience what was happening. He listed the point values, with me and Harry tied for first. Surprisingly, I was feeling less and less worried the closer we got to entering it.

Bagman's whistle sounded. Me and Harry entered the maze. After a few moments, the only thing I could hear was Harry and I's breathing. After two minutes of jogging steadily, we reached a fork.

"Good luck." Harry muttered to me, and took the left. I didn't say anything back to him, and took the right.

I was jogging for a while. Bagman's whistle had blown two more times, signaling that Krum and Cedric were inside, before I met something.

"Oh, gods help me." I muttered, my eyes wide. Whatever it was, it was huge and probably hungry. It looked somewhat scorpion-like. A Blast-ended Skrewt.

I took a deep breath and tried to retreat slowly, but it sped after me anyway with extraordinary speed. I gripped my want tightly and sprinted as fast as possible—

And hit a dead end.

I also heard Bagman's last whistle. Now all the champions were inside.

I pulled out my wand without a thought of what to do. I pointed it down at the skrewt.