Chapter 34

And [recall] when We saved your forefathers from the people of Pharaoh, who afflicted you with the worst torment, slaughtering your [newborn] sons and keeping your females alive. And in that was a great trial from your Lord.

It's been a month since the death of Ahlam and Abdul's baby and it hasn't been easy on either of them, especially Ahlam. She barely eats nor gets any sleep, she doesn't speak and only respond with nods, she's not doing well in terms of being a functional human being, she is utterly numb.

The Doctor walked in and everyone's attention went to her "Mrs. Shema how are you feeling today?" She asks Ahlam

Ahlam nods and continued rubbing her belly, something she does whenever the Doctor walks in "Okay... How is she doing?" The Dr. turned her attention to Abdul

"Well she doesn't speak to anyone, she doesn't eat well, she doesn't sleep plus she hates my presence, she can't tolerate noises, whenever a hospital staff walks in she becomes grumpy or starts doing weird stuff like what she's doing now"

"She is going through severe depression, she will need serious help so I'll suggest a few therapists and you can choose who you want her to see. I am going to discharge you today and she can continue taking her current meds, I'll prescribe some vitamins and painkillers as well as an antidepressant, you can come back in 3-4 weeks and the orthopedic will remove the cast. Do you have any questions?" The Dr asks

"Is she going to be okay? Am I going to ever get the old her back?"

"It's going to take time but with proper help and family support she'll be okay, she's going to need you more than ever but she won't show it, she'll do everything she can to push you away so you have to be strong to not let the depression succeed in driving you two apart"

"Thank you, Dr," Abdul says and she nods and walked out

He looked back at Ahlam, she has stopped rubbing her belly. Her eyes were swollen and had bags underneath as if she hadn't slept in years. He starts walking closer to her and she began to shake her head and body vigorously so he decided to sit far away from her to give her her own space.

————-

They arrived at the house and Ahlam was wheeled to the main house, Mary opened the door wide open welcoming her madam back.

"Stop," Ahlam said to Abdul who was pushing the wheelchair, he stopped then came in front of her and squatted

"I can't go inside, I don't want to. Please don't make me go inside" she starts to shiver, the events of the accident replaying in her head again.

"It's okay baby, you won't go in" Abdul reaches for her hand to soothe her but she pulled away. She hasn't let him touch a single hair in her body since after their last talk.

Abdul fisted his hand and placed it back on his lap "Do you want to stay at the guest chalet?" He asks and she nods so he wheeled her there instead

Abdul had Mary move his and Ahlam's clothes to the guest chalet as they will be staying there till Ahlam recovers. Ahlam's parents had to go back to Mauritania because Ikrams now 3 months old baby boy was admitted to the hospital. Khadijah, Safi, and Mimi offered to come and help because Ahlam doesn't like Abdul's presence so it will be hard for him alone to take care of her.

That night Abdul went to the room to help Ahlam change into her nightwear.

"I don't need your help," she says as he approaches her

"Yes you do" he starts to lift her from the wheelchair

"Don't touch me" she hits him on the back with her non-cast hand repeatedly but he didn't budge, he dropped her on the bed gently.