t w e n t y - o n e

Start from the beginning

   Iris laughed and followed after him. "So, you coming on next Friday?"

   Jae scoffed. "No, thanks."

   "Come on, baby." Iris pouted. "It's a party. It'll help you get your mind off her."

   "I don't need to do that because I don't care." He rolled his eyes and shoved his hands into the pockets of his black jeans.

   "Sure, sweetie, because you're not affected by their relationship at all. Keep telling yourself that, babe. It's totally healthy."

   "Oh, shut up." Jae frowned. "I got better things to do than go to a party."

   "What? Like study? Bo-ring!" She stuck out her tongue. "Think of it as an exam jam, or de-stresser. Like the therapy dogs and crafts they want us to do."

   "Dogs are a million times better, actually."

   "Well yeah, but—it's a party. Come on, baby, for me?"

   "No." Jae rolled his eyes and searched through the shelf's and vendors of the cafeteria.

   It didn't take long for them to get something to eat, Jae settled on a cup of instant noodles and Iris bought a burger. Amongst the dense crowd of students, they spotted Andrea sitting down at a table in the back of the cafeteria. They made their way towards her. For the past two weeks, Jae found it easier to hang with Iris, she wasn't insisting on knowing every detail of the 'break up', nor had she been nagging him for taking up smoking again. In fact, it worked out pretty well since he didn't want to show his face to Catalina after the confession, hell he didn't even want to be within fifty feet of her.

   "Jae?" The corn chip slipped from Daniel's grasp before it reached his lips. His jaw dropped upon seeing Jae in a black leather jacket and change in style.

   The rest of the table looked up at him. Madeline stared equally as shocked, but Andrea had her arms crossed over her chest. The subsequent silence of the group was drowned out by the chatter of the students in the cafeteria.

   The light above them flickered and Iris took a seat next to Andrea. "Guys! Have you seen?"

   Andrea turned to her, a frown on her face. "What?" She grumbled, unimpressed.

   "Your hair! What happened? What did you do?" Daniel finally spoke, his initial shock subsiding.

   Jae slung his bag off his shoulders and shrugged. "Thought I could use a change."

   "What do you think? I did a great job, didn't I?" Iris grinned while she picked up a fry. "He looks like your typical bad boy and I'm digging it."

   Daniel looked over at Iris and picked up his bag of chips again. "You did that to him?"

   Iris grimaced and leaned unto the table, sending Daniel a glare. "You make it sound like I forced him to wear Crocs and short-shorts."

   "But, but," Daniel mumbled, "what about soft boi Jae? What about the cute lil' bean? What've you done to him?"

   Jae echoed some of Daniel's words in confusion but he didn't get any clarification from any of his friends.

   "Why didn't he do your extreme makeover?" Andrea asked as she set her fork down.

   "You kidding me? There's no way I trust him with anything near my hair, not even a plastic fork." Iris scoffed. "If you don't like it, I'm not here to make you guys happy."

   "No, Iris, you did great!" Madeline sighed as she looked Jae over while he sat down at the end of the table. "I didn't think you could get any hotter but here you are with that bad boy look." She looked at him with hearts in her eyes. "Honestly, Cat is sleeping on you. She better snatch you up for real. I ain't about this fake dating thing no more."