chapter four

The days after the incident every little thing scared me. I was on constant alert and never dared put down my gard. I left class last just in case, and rounded every corner slowly so that I wouldn't accidentally bump into him. When people jostled me in the halls, I could feel his hands brushing up my sides and felt a queasiness take over my body. It was exhasuting.

I had noticed Roman watching me whenever he could. Between classes he would come find me, and walk with me. During lunch he would sit as close as possible on the Slytherin table, and he had told Pierre what happened.

The next time I had seen Pierre he had run up to me and given me a big hug. Mumbling how sorry he was that he hadn't been there. Cursing Nott's existence and holding me tight, kissing my head again and again telling me how sorry he was. Pierre also seemed to find me between classes and walk with me. Because of all this. I noticed people watching me. It was a strange feeling. Having people watch you. It also meant I didn't go so long without talking to people. Having to walk with Roman and Pierre I had someone to talk to. I hadn't experienced that before and dispite the circumstances it was a nice change.

Harry Potter had approached me the day after. I was walking with Roman to Defense Against the Dark Arts, my least favorite class. He was looking rather embarrassed when he handed me my backpack.

"You forgot this." He said giving me my bag looking very sheepish, but that changed when he gave a curious glance up at Roman who was staring at him. The fact that someone other than Pierre and Roman had just talked to me made me so happy. And even better than that, it was Harry Potter after all. He was about to ask me something when a few Gryffindors called him over. I couldn't help but feel glad that I had dropped my bag. Someone just talked to me. Of course the circumstances weren't great. 

______

It had been three days since I had seen Theodore Nott. Today I saw him when I was walking with Roman to Herbology. I stopped in my tracks. My stomach dropped to the floor at the sight of him, fear building its way up my chest, but also because he looked horrible. His face was black and blue. I had never seen someone so injured before. Immediately I turned to Roman. He was clenching his fists which I now noticed were bruised.

"Roman?" I whisper in shock "did you-?"

"He deserved it Tara." He said through a clenched jaw.

"But-" I'm interrupted by Roman stepping in front of me and looking down at me. "He is a horrible person Tara. He told me he had done it to others when I confronted him about it. He had the audacity to tell me you enjoyed it! That bastard! We should have done more!" He was getting angry and I didn't want to draw any attention to us. I didn't want anyone to know.

"We? Who else?" I asked in a whisper.

I can tell he wasn't supposed to say that, but he tells me anyway. The second the name comes out of his mouth I feel my jaw drop. Why would Draco Malfoy do that for me?

That question was in my head all day. Why? Why would he help my brother beat up a fellow Slytherin no less, but someone who had caused me emotional harm. Why would scary Draco Malfoy help me?

_________________

Pierre had invited me to Hogsmeade as usual today. We often went, but he had other friends as well. So he couldn't always go with me. And seeing as I didn't fancy going with his friends who would just ignore me I usually stayed behind.

Today was one of those days. Every other Saturday he went alone with me though, which I was incredibly grateful for. Today he went with his other Gryffindor friends. He asked me of course even though he knew I would kindly decline his offer.