Having an Affair with My Soon-to-Be Stepdad [14]

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes and started playing 2NE1 'Clap Your Hands' to the max volume on my laptop. "Mirage," my mother warned. "Turn that down."

I sighed loudly and said over the music, "I'll just take it to my room."

As I was about to leave, James gave me a look I couldn't explain. He was smiling. But there was something in his eyes. I laughed mentally. Guess he likes this side of me.

I went upstairs and started reading a poem. I heard a knock on the door and my mom stepped in. "Hey, honey," she said with a small smile.

"Hi Mom," I said, distracted by the poem.

"Can we...talk for a second?" she asked nervously. "I wanted to tell you about the conversation we had on the phone a few days ago."

I put my laptop down at once. "And I want to hear about it," I said quickly.

She came and sat down at the edge of my bed, wearing a deep plum evening gown, pearls around her neck and right arm and black heels. "Well, I wanted to say that James-"

Almost as if on cue, James walked into the room. "Krystal, we should get going. Don't wanna be late."

I rolled my eyes and stuffed my earphones in again. My mom gave me an apologizing look and stood up. Like a puppy, James prepared to follow her out of the room.

Suddenly, he stopped and turned around. He stared at me a while and said, quietly, lethally, "You've been bad today."

I gave him a look and laughed. "Bad? And just who the hell are you?"

He came up to my bed and smiled down at me. He reached out his long index finger and outlined my jaw, sending a ticklish sensation all over me. He took my chin with his index and thumb fingers and pointed my face to him.

I gulped hard and looked away. "Get out."

He laughed and grinned at me. I looked into his eyes angrily. "Fine, fine. I'm leaving. But..." he said, pausing and leaning forward. "I just wanted to let you know. Bad girls get punished."

With that, he gave me a cold kiss on the cheek and walked out of the room. I blushed and angrily wiped off my cheek. Some pathetic thing inside me asked why I was wiping away the only kiss I had gotten from him in so long. I closed my eyes tightly and tried to forget that. I then stretched out my fingers and continued reading the poem.

_______________

At about eleven pm, I heard keys in the door jangling and the door opening rather roughly. I wondered whether James was drunk again and quickly got up, putting on a big grey V-neck sweater.

I went into the hallway and was about to say something when I saw James....and mom. They were...making out against the wall. I hid behind the corner and watched. I was so jealous of their feverish passion....they must really be into each other. Both of them.

I felt a tear on my cheek and watched as she paused and pressed her hand against his chest. "Let's stop," she said. "I don't want to do this right now."

"I do," he said, pressing back against her.

He started to kiss her but she pushed him back and sat on the couch. "No, James. We need to tell her some time."

"Tell who what?" he asked with a flabbergasted laugh. "I don't care about anybody else but you right now," he said, sitting next to her and putting his arms around her.

Another two tears joined the first and I shut my eyes painfully. "James, please! We need to tell her."

"Tell her what?! What are you talking about?" he asked impatiently.