Mom nodded and placed her hand back on her chest. "I think I can feel him..."

"I'm sure you do," Natalie smiled gently. "Your spirits are taking good care of him. You are taking good care of him, and he knows it."

Mom nodded slowly, but her sadness didn't fade. "Is there anything I can do for him?"

"I think you already know what to do," Natalie said quietly. "You are a mother above all else."

I smiled at Mom when she looked at me. I had the feeling Natalie had heard us earlier. Mom straightened her posture and nodded at Natalie, who turned her attention to Arch.

"How is he?" I asked, feeling worried again.

"He's doing well. His spirits are in turmoil, but he's not in pain anymore," Natalie spoke, looking around in the room. "I have never seen anything this complicated before... I'm surprised I didn't get lost in him."

"We thought he was sick because there was something dangerous in town," I told her.

"I can sense hundreds of connections, and many of them are vibrating... Like a spider's web, but instead of sensing prey, he senses danger coming towards him. But it's so complicated... I truly wish I know more about your kind. The bonds between mates are fascinating," she said, looking at Mom. "I can see a strong link between you and someone else. I can see the growing link between Oliver and Jaden, and," she turned to look at me, "you have one too, but it's... it's hard to spot."

My eyes grew wide and Mom turned to look at me with raised eyebrows.

"I'm sorry – I think you've forgotten to tell me something, young woman," Mom spoke to me.

"Oh, God – I didn't mean to spill your secrets," Natalie hurried to speak with an apologetic look on her face.

"I have no idea what she's talking about," I told Mom with raised hands. "I don't have a mate!" Mom squinted her eyes at me, trying to pressure me into talking. "Honest to Goddess, I have no idea who my mate is!"

She sighed and looked away. "You probably haven't met him yet. Or her."

"Him..." I muttered before I could stop myself. Mom raised her eyebrows at me. "Just a guess – I don't see girls that way," I said.

I was saved from that embarrassing moment, when we heard someone knocking on the door. Banging more like it. I could hear Arch's father's voice coming from behind it, and Mom went to let them in. Natalie placed her hand on Arch's forehead for a moment, letting out a relieved breath.

"So... he's going to be all right?" I asked slowly.

"Yes – he just needs some rest," Natalie spoke. "And I'm terribly sorry for blurting it out like that."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I said. "It must be just a possible bond."

Natalie raised an eyebrow at me.

"Okay fine, but just... not now, okay?" I said quietly. "I'm not even sure if it's him..."

"It's active," she said just as quietly. "So... But I promise I won't bring it up again."

"Thanks. There's just way too much going on..." I muttered.

"I understand. But you do have the right to be happy about it," she said, standing up from the bed. "No matter what is going on," she added, patting my shoulder gently.

I smiled when she walked out of the room. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and saw three new messages on the screen. I hadn't even remembered the whole thing until now.