🧵 Fifteen: Don't, Don't, Nirvana You, Forget About Me

Start from the beginning

Alex felt a surge of alarm when she realized Keya meant to accompany her home. No one came over—not even Alexx. "Oh, that's okay. I can take them."

Keya hefted the bags, her fingers turning white under the strain. "Are you kidding? I can barely manage what I have." She motioned to Alex's load, which was just as heavy. "There's no way you can lift all this and not throw out your back."

"Throw out my back? I'm not seventy," she responded while her mind whirled with possible excuses.

"Come on," Keya said, her hip jutting out as she cocked her head to the side, the movement eerily similar to her cousin. "Let's go before it gets dark. Which way?"

Panic set in. What if her parents were home and fighting? She'd die of embarrassment. "You know what? I need everyone to try them on anyway so why don't you take that half and bring them to school tomorrow and I'll do the same with my half."

Keya's brows knitted together. "But I thought you said you would get their measurements and work on the outfits at home?"

Caught, Alex nibbled on her bottom lip. How could she talk her way out of this? "Well, um...I think this would be better."

"Really." Keya's tone said she didn't believe Alex one bit.

"Really," Alex replied with a firm nod.

Keya set down the bags, her expression turning suspicious. "You got some other place to be?"

"No. I just..." I don't want you in my house. But of course, she couldn't say that without explaining why and why was very much off-limits.

Thankfully, a silver sedan pulled up to the curb saving Alex from answering. The car window rolled down, and a woman with big sunglasses and an even bigger smile leaned across the seat. "Need a ride?"

Keya's brown eyes widened with delight. "Nisha! What are you doing here?"

The woman pushed her sunglasses into her hair, showing off her skin which was the same rich hue as Keya's. That's not all they shared. The two could have been twins except for the age difference. The driver was younger than Alex initially thought, but still older than Keya. Probably in her early twenties or so. "Picking up a stray who obviously needs to cut back on the shopping."

Keya stuck out her tongue. "It's not for me. It's for the club."

"Ah, the infamous drama club. Can't wait to hear more at dinner." The woman reached over and opened the passenger door. "Hop in. Mom said she's making our favorite."

Keya looked back at Alex, then turned to the lady who was obviously her sister. "Do you think Mom has enough for a friend?"

"You know Mom. She has enough to feed the population of India."

Chuckling, Keya rapped her knuckles against the door. "Pop open the trunk so we can put these in. You can be our chauffeur for the day." She ignored her sister's loud protest that she was no chauffeur but rather a good sister, and hauled Alex to the back just as the hood lifted.

"Keya," Alex whispered, not sure what was happening. Keya set the bags in and then motioned for Alex to do the same. "I can't have dinner at your place."

Keya closed the trunk, her movement swift and firm. "You said you don't have plans."

"I don't but...but..."

"But nothing. You're coming over—end of story. Nisha can drive you home afterwards. That way, you don't have to lug these by yourself."

Before Alex knew it, she was sitting in the backseat. Nisha, she learned, was getting her degree in astrophysics at the state college and was home for a quick visit. As the sisters caught up, talking about classes and family gossip, Alex's phone buzzed.