Chapter Twenty Three

Lily stumbled over a tree root as she and the rest of the class walked through the forest behind Nova High. This was her first and last time as a student of Witch Agriculture, and instead of having the class at the greenhouse at the back of the school, Mrs Khan had decided to have it in the forest.

Jack laughed at Lily. "I expect a postcard from that trip!"

Lily brushed the dirt off her knees. "You'll have a collection at the rate I'm going."

"I'll frame them above my collection of crystals."

"Thanks Jack." Lily said sarcastically as they trailed after the rest of the students. When Mrs Khan took them to a clearing filled with sprouted saplings they finally stopped.

"Lesson for today!" Mrs Khan shouted so everyone could hear. "Identify what kind of saplings these all are, and then use your abilities to grow them until they're head-height, and no further!"

The class automatically drifted to pairs, and Lily stuck with Jack. As Mrs Khan walked over to them, Lily realised Mrs Khan was probably Jack's partner in class - it would be pointless putting someone as powerful as Jack with the rest of the students when she could complete the lesson with a clap of her hands.

"You two, we're planting more saplings." Mrs Khan said and lead them over to the side of the field where the grass was yellowing and the dirt was dry. Lily frowned at the field, and Jack spoke before she had the chance.

"The soil's too dry to plant anything here." Jack deadpanned but Mrs Khan just raised a penciled eyebrow.

"That's why Lily's here." Mrs Khan stared her down, motioning to her hands. "Your creature has an affinity for water, let's see how strong she is."

Jack blinked while Lily's mouth dropped. "You want to test my abilities?" She gasped. "After what happened yesterday?"

Mrs Khan nodded. "Jack and I will help you if anything similar happens."

"We will?" Jack questioned. "I mean, yeah of course I will, but how exactly? I wasn't much help yesterday."

"This time we're in a forest." Mrs Khan knelt and gestured for the two of them to do the same, and held a hand filled with seeds out to them. "Do you recognise these Jack?"

"Willow tree seeds." She said immediately.

"They were what I used yesterday when you had increased the humidity Lily." Mrs Khan explained. "Willow trees are often found near large bellies of water, like a river. They cause a lot of damage to drains near homes because their roots are strong enough to puncture metal and drink the water within."

Lily started to piece together where she was going. "They're a contingency plan?"

"Partially - I also need more willow seeds."

"So we're doing your homework for you?" Jack teased.

"Lily, water the soil for Jack and I to plant the seeds." Mrs Khan ignored Jack's remark and focused on her. "Just take a breath and try to summon the water, guide it into the soil."

Lily frowned. "But I don't know how to summon water, or if that's something I can even do."

"You never know until you try, Lily."

Jack raised her hand. "Except the time she didn't try and changed the humidity so much people collapsed."

Lily swallowed the lump in her throat and hesitantly placed her hands on the coarse ground. Mrs Khan frowned at Jack's remark and patiently watched Lily. Jack looked between the two of them and held her hands together. Her rings glimmered as her powers surfaced slightly, ready to steady Lily.