Chapter 8

The tree seemed like every other tree in the forest to a common eye. To Megs it was different. Not only did it stand alone, closer to her house than the others. It always was full of green and had low branches to sit on, swing on, and climb on. Nowadays she did the first of those three things but sometimes makes exceptions.

She let go of Jaspers wrist and knelt by the trunk of the tree, placing her bag in front of it and pulling out a binder of history notes, handing it to Jasper who reluctantly took it. She dug through her book pack and pulled out a History textbook and pencil which she stuck behind her ear. "Mind giving me a boost?" she asked Jasper as her eyes shifted from the lowest branch to him. It was still sitting at about 6'4 feet high and she usually had help from her Grandpa or a ladder.

Jasper handed the binder back to her and looked at the trunk of the tree, backing up slightly. He ran up to the tree and bounced off the trunk, giving a minimal amount of force to make things not suspicious as he used both arms to pull himself onto the branch.

"Show off..." Meg scoffed as she reached up for his outstretched hand. He sat on the part connecting the trunk to the tree as he pulled the girl up. She used the branch to help him as well and soon enough she was sitting inches from his body, trying not to fall off.

An awkward silence followed for a moment. They were so close. Where Meg expected to feel his body heat at this distance, he felt a chill coming from his direction. He cleared his throat and she took it as a sign to move back, breaking the tension.

"So Civil War..." Meg tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and handed him the textbook to read her facts she could write down. The next hour or so was strictly work with a few attempts at history jokes from Meg (sometimes with the occasional pity smirk from Jasper) until Nana Marge came running out the back door of the cabin.

"Meg?! Meghan Elizabeth Reid why didn't you tell me you had compan- and a boy too!" Marge teased, fluffing her curls and glancing at the boy next to Meg on the branch. Megs cheeks were flustered with embarrassment as she mouthed an apology to Jasper.

Marge ignored Megs embarrassed ques and kept teasing "He's a handsome one too! I'll just go inside and make you two some cookies ok?"

"That won't be necessary Nana, before you ask we're just working on a History project and finishing up anyways..." Meg climbed down from the branch and frantically approached her nana pushing her gently back towards the building. "Ok ok! I get the message!" Marge yelled waving her hands. "Bye bye now!" She waved to Meg then Jasper and walked back into the cabin. That didn't stop her from watching through the window blinds though.

Jasper joined Meg on the ground and surprisingly was the one to start the conversation this time. "Are those your grandparents?" he asked but a moment later when he felt her emotion shift from embarrassment to sadness he knew he hit a nerve.

"Sort of...they're my adoptive parents, more or less grandparents. I've lived with the Greene's ever since I moved to Forks." Meg rubbed her left bicep as she slowly moved back towards Jaspers car, looking only at the ground where she stepped.

"I know how it is to be adopted. It was hard transitioning into the Cullen family."

"At least you had your sister Rosalie, that had to have made it easier in some way right?"

"Not as much as you would think." He caught up to her pace and looked at her intently as he did.

Meg instantly felt more positive about the situation which was strange to her since whenever she thought about foster care it was a dark cloud of despair. She had to admit it felt a bit better talking to someone who understood her, who went through sort of the same thing.

Jasper reached his car and opened the door. "Sorry for bringing all that up ma'am..." sometimes he couldn't help the flow of his past self making its way into his dialogue. But he also liked to use the humor of calling people 'ma'am' to diffuse tension.

"It's not your fault, it's better to talk about with someone who understands." Jasper smiled at the comment from Meg. If only she did understand, things would possibly be better.

"We can finish the project at my house on Thursday if you like, I'll take you after school again."

"I'd like that." Meg rocked on her feet as a smile tried playing onto her face, she bit the inside of her cheek to control it.

"Good luck at soccer tryouts." Jasper smiled at the shift of her emotions, a true genuine smile not frozen or statue like. He waited for her to nod then run into her house before getting into his car. He sat for a moment dealing with his own emotions. He always was the one to deal, to manipulate with other people's emotions and with his own it was harder.

He was pushing every thought he had down into an empty hole until he hoped it would leave. Jasper was no doubt drawn to the human. He didn't know the reasons which scared him as much as it excited him. Jasper started the car and slowed out of her driveway, not looking back at the house as he passed.

Meg was overjoyed enough behind the closed door she had to bite her tongue to resist from screaming. During dinner, her nana and grandpa bombarded her with questions she had minimal answers to. Meg finished her dinner and the interrogation before showering and climbing into bed with a fresh pair of pjs. She closed her eyes and for the first time in what felt like forever, fell asleep with something of a smile.

A/n thanks for being so patient and all. I'm pretty fond of how this is going to far but if it's moving real fast let me know! Don't worry they won't become a thing just yet ;) I'll throw in some more setbacks. Love Always- M