Part 47

Epilogue

It took hours for each of the armies to head back to their respective worlds. Many were injured but there was also an atmosphere of elation. The Valkyries flew to and fro, carrying the severely wounded off the battlefield with haste or bringing back medical supplies and healers to help out. They also spread the news on Asgard and the surrounding worlds and when the warriors returned they were greeted by raucous applause from the civilians. Ragnarok was avoided, the Realms were saved.

The glee was so infectious that even Odin did a merry jig as Frigg, who had gotten medical treatment, laughed at her husband. Thor lay on a stretcher as Healers fussed over him. Loki watched his brother as Sif brought their daughter over to see her father again. At first, he thought Thor might have regretted giving up all his powers but now that he saw the happy family he was assured. Thor was still Thor. Powers or not.

Healers were also fussing over him and Loki would have disappeared long ago if not for Eir giving him a glare that promised retribution if he didn't get his injuries checked. He had no doubt that she would follow through. Not so far away the Dragon Riders were also celebrating. Stoick and Valka were still recovering but they came out to give each of the riders a big hug. Even Fishlegs struggled to breathe as he was picked up. Several Asgardians then cheered as Astrid dipped Hiccup and kissed him passionately. The couple blushed when Dagur shouted "When's the wedding?!"

Loki looked around and then caught sight of Sigyn. She had her arm in a sling as well as several bandages around her head and neck. He didn't know that he was staring until Eir who was like a mother hawk let out a cough. "You know she's single right......." Eir casually commented. Loki raised a brow at the field medic.

"I'm just saying.........." Eir mumbled casually. "She also has a thing for Sialky flowers, slow dancing and magic........."

"Are you actually trying to set me up?!" Loki asked.

"Of course I am! How obvious do you want me to be?!" Eir responded while pouting.

Loki's wounds were all dressed and he was about to excuse himself when something caught his eye on one of the high balconies. Without much thought he made his way to that particular area.

"So....." Loki said as he finally came to stand next to Skuld who was overlooking the proceedings with a stoic face. "Any more nudges I should be aware of?" the Trickster asked with a raised brow.

Skuld who was wearing an elegant black dress with several feathers on a broach fastened to it merely glanced at Loki with a raised brow. "I don't know what you are referring to."

"Cut the crap Skuld," Loki now growled. "You may be able to fool your sisters but I can see right through you. No future is this perfect! No prophecy is either! The future is ever changing and no Seer can predict it this perfectly unless they had a hand in it."

"So what if I did have a hand in it as you implied?" Skuld now asked with a miffed look. "I regret nothing."

"What happened to the Norn's non-interference policy?" Loki raised a brow now.

"The death of the Realms happened," Skuld stated bluntly.

"That bad?" Loki now asked.

"In the futures I initially saw, Odin was the first to die in the battle." Skuld stated as she turned back to watch the festivities. "Ymir would have lured you to her side and you would have killed Laufey and gotten control of Jothunheim's armies. Thor would have been brainwashed to attack your son and both would have perished in the battle as well."

"I'm guessing that's not the worst of it?" Loki muttered.

"Asgard would win the war with Ymir but not before she used the bow to wipe out four Realms. Asgard, Vanaheim, Alfheim and Midgard would be reduced to dust. For your crimes in Ymir's mass genocide you would be sentenced by the survivors to eternal torture."

"And the Dragon Riders?" Loki now asked uncomfortably. "Why haven't I heard about them?"

"Because they did not appear in that futures I initially saw." Skuld stated. "They were, along with everyone else on Midgard, reduced to ash."

"They were really that vital to your plan?" Loki now asked.

"The futures were grim. Another set of players were needed to turn the tide. The Dragon riders were never there to defeat Ymir. They were there to ensure that her end was brought forth with the least amount of casualties. Without them Thor would have died in each possible future I foresaw. Your brother needed to live in order for Ymir to die. Creation magic can only be opposed by Creation magic as you well know." Skuld stated. "They were the most suitable for this job."

"Just how much did you meddle?" Loki now asked with a frown.

"Gungnir," Skuld told him and Loki's eyes widened.

"The one they called Johann was always destined to steal Gungnir. In most futures he did so just before Ymir came to power which ultimately resulted in the death of the Allfather." Skuld stated. "I merely tempted him to steal it much sooner and then advised Odin to appoint a mortal with the task of retrieving it."

"What else?" Loki now asked with a frown. "Surely this future wasn't set in stone by just doing that?"

"I whispered promises of power to Drago to have him rebel earlier, and I may have had a slight hand in Hiccup and Astrid's first meeting," Skuld confessed with a sigh. "I made Hiccup forget to take his keys so he would go back to the museum. From there most things played out like it should have. The last thing I did on Midgard was make it possible for Johann to find Drago's lair. I did not have to intervene again until after they arrived in Asgard. By that time I had already gotten to know Laufey and had him wavering from the plan to revive Ymir." Here Skuld gave a little laugh. "Like father like son I have to say. He also guessed that I was........... Meddling."

"And he was alright with it?" Loki now asked, taken by surprise. Laufey was the last one he thought would know about Skuld's activities.

"He was relieved when I told him what the outcome could have been." Skuld stated. "In the initial futures after Ymir lost the war and the Realms were destroyed the Jothuns faced severe persecution. Up to the point where they were enslaved and treated worse than cattle. The hate that the survivors had was so strong that many Jothuns took their lives and that of their families to avoid such a fate."

Skuld now looked fully at Loki "As I said. I do not regret what I did. Compared to that future, this one is a Utopia." She stated.

"Tell me one more thing," Loki said as he made to take his leave. "Will they be happy? The Riders I mean? I doubt they can go back to Midgard now."

The Norn gave Loki a smirk and then a small nod. "They will make legends of their own in the Realms. Their descendants will tell stories of them for ages to come."

Loki nodded and was about to leave when Skuld spoke up again. "Oh, by the way. If you want your best chance at asking Sigyn if you could court her go to the East courtyard in twenty minutes, stand by the middle lamppost and don't duck."

"Don't duck?" Loki frowned when Skuld just gave him a cryptic smile. He knew he would get nothing more out of the woman and left with a sigh.

Back on Earth, a few days after Ragnarok was averted, two familiar faces sat in jail still. Both were grumbling and had been put under guard after their escape attempts.

"Brother this is demeaning," Vili muttered. "Not only are we still prisoners but I think Ymir actually forgot about us."

"Hmm, that sounds about right," A female voice said and the brothers turned to see Brynhildr and several other Valkyries in Midgardian clothing approaching their cell. "Odin wants to see you both and I doubt it will be a pleasant visit." The woman said with a smirk.

-THE END-

AN: Well, that is it for this tale. I hope that all of you had a chance to enjoy it. I loved writing every moment of it. I just want to say thank you for sticking with this story until the end :)
I will be taking a small break and will be back in August with A.I.2. (waves)