39- For Now

Dad's eyes watched me, then flicked behind me as the boys followed. Right away, I could tell he wasn't happy. I already knew this wouldn't go well, but that wasn't the point. The point was just to tell him. The point was, I wasn't hiding anymore. I was who I was and they were just going to have to deal with it.

"Melody." Dad said as a greeting.

"Dad." I said as I sat.

Aiden sat beside me and I felt Douglas behind me somewhere, probably leaning against something. He liked a more defendable position and I couldn't say I blamed him.

"So."

"So." I repeated. He knew damn well why we were here.

"I don't suppose there's any changing your mind." He said sourly.

"We're mates." I said, just cutting straight to the point.

Shock faltered his expression. A few minutes past where I just let him process. Even if he wasn't against everything vampire, it would still be a lot to process. I had to remember he was still my dad. He'd still worry, even if he didn't express it in any decent way.

I needed to work on being less defensive.

"You're sure?" He asked finally.

I resisted the urge to sigh. "Yes. I'm not just taking his word for it. I can see it."

More silence. Then his eyes moved to Aiden. "You knew about this? You allowed this?"

Aiden opened his mouth, not looking the least bit okay.

"Hey," I interrupted. "No. This doesn't have anything to do with him and what he allows. This is me. I made the choice."

His eyes flicked behind me. "And him."

I sighed heavily and sat back. "He didn't take advantage of me. He's not forcing me or tricking me. I can read his mind, for fuck's sake. Dad. I know what I'm doing. I want this. It's my choice what I do, not yours, not Aiden's, not even Douglas'. Can't you just respect one decision I make? Just the one?"

Silence fell again. I could see on his face he was thinking through every option he had to stop this and I couldn't believe it. I should, but I couldn't. It didn't matter what I said, he just didn't care. Maybe he didn't believe me or maybe he didn't trust me, but he should. I'd more than proved I was able. He just wouldn't ever believe it.

"I won't condone this." Dad said after a while. "You are a symbol for this coven and you have a responsibility to put them first. Your own selfish-"

"SELFISH?!?!" I lurched forward in my seat. "ARE YOU KIDDING ME???"

A warm hand on my shoulder did it's best to ground me, but I wasn't so sure I wanted to let it. Still, I took in as deep a breath as I could. My voice came out even, but a little strained.

"I have given this coven my entire life." I said, long burning anger just under the surface. "I've fought and died for this coven. I've done more since I was sixteen than you've done the entire time you've led us."

He scoffed, rolling his eyes.

I took in another breath to try and calm down. "I. Want. One. Thing. After everything I've sacrificed for you and this coven, I want one thing. And I'm not asking. I'm telling."

I stood and started for the door without another word. That was all that needed said. He could do whatever he wanted with it, but I'd done what I needed to do.

Aiden ran up as I stomped down the hall. "Shit, Sis. That was so fucking badass."

"Thanks." I breathed. The anxiety of what I'd just done started to twist in me.